Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2009, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Need assistance for my older system!!

So after a couple freezeups while playing some games i wondered what was wrong. So I dropped to my desktop and was monioring my system with Everest and noticed my main video card in my SLI setup ws posting very high temperatures. It peaked at 107c!! So I knew there was something worng with my video card. I pulled it out and it was dusty so i got my compressed air and started blowing it out. That's when I noticed the air wasn't turning the fan. BTW my card is a XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX and I am using 2 of them. So I realized that in comparison to the other card that the fan was jammed or broken. So I pulled it out and replaced it with the one that was still functioning properly. Got everything back together and when I tried to boot up my system I don't get anything on my screen though it does get power and the drives spin. Is this my bios? Is my other card not functioning as well? Is it something to do with switching the cards without uninstalling anything?

(oh side note, i also pulled out the card for my wireless internet because I am using cable now).

I have my laptop for now and the parts for my new system should be here this week sometime but I still want to get this older system up and running! Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Old February 8, 2009, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

is there any beeps? also is there suppose to be any power connected to the Video card? all the connections are hooked up? doe it matter which slot the vidcard goes into ( asking this because you mention SLI and I am not familiar how that works) .
Old February 8, 2009, 02:15 PM
Rookie

I am not getting any beeps now that you mention it. Did I screw up my BIOS? The video cards are powered by the PCI-E slot and require no additional power. All the connections seem good. i think the lack of beep is what i have to deal with. Any help here? It's Pheonix Award BIOS.

EDIT: Only using a single video card now as the card that was originally in the 1st PCI-e slot the fan is dead and the card is overheating. So the card that i had in the 2nd slot in the SLI setup is in the first slot by itself now.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you connect your monitor to your GPU?
Old February 8, 2009, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Did you connect your monitor to your GPU?
Haha very funny! I am not getting a beep from the bios so i think its that.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:17 PM
Rookie

Any knowledgable people out there that could tell me how to fix this?
Old February 8, 2009, 03:55 PM
Rookie

Well i tried putting in the original video card. It booted up so I got thinking and just swapped the fan/heatsinks on the cards! Took 5 minutes and im up and running again! Put some Arctic Silver thermal paste in there and im running cooler thann before. So proud of my problem solving right now haha.
Old February 8, 2009, 04:02 PM
Allstar

you should return it, lifetime warranty and all...
Old February 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3dro View Post
Well i tried putting in the original video card. It booted up so I got thinking and just swapped the fan/heatsinks on the cards! Took 5 minutes and im up and running again! Put some Arctic Silver thermal paste in there and im running cooler thann before. So proud of my problem solving right now haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
you should return it, lifetime warranty and all...
He fixed it already though.
Old February 8, 2009, 04:12 PM
Rookie

im still going to return the one that has the broken fan
hoping they'll upgrade me or something :P