Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2009, 06:51 AM
Rookie

Default New build, monitor not recognized, HELP!!!

Hey guys,

As this is my first build, it's only inevitable that something doesn't work. I will list my specs below. Ultimately, my computer is not recognizing my monitor, the monitor is not receiving any signal whatsoever. The monitor itself is fine, it works with my old computer. I have tried both VGA slots and the DVI port and it's the same with all of them, no signal. When I turn the computer all, everything seems to boot up fine, the CPU, GPU, chassis and PSU fan all turn on, the DVD writer opens/closes, seems to read cd's, the HDD makes the usual noises. The green LED on the mobo turns on. I removed the video card and plugged it into the onboard video, nothing. I have started it with no RAM, the mobo beeps. So I turn to the experts, you guys, for help.

CM Elite 330 case with 460w PSU
Intel E5200 dual core CPU
BFG 9400
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
ASUS P5KPL-CM mATX Intel G31 LGA775 1PCI-16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard
Seagate 500 GB HD
LG DVD writer.

I fully admit I am very inexperienced with computers, but I want to learn, hence building it myself. Does anyone have any advice, or want me to try anything specific?

Please help!!

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old February 6, 2009, 07:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have another monitor to trouble shoot with?
Double check all your connetions (power going to MB etc...).
Is that PSU an OEM type that came with the case?
Something is nagging me that it may not have the right stuff to power that system, but for me thats just a guess.
Put in only 1 stick of RAM , and if nothing happens, move the slot the RAM is in.

Only things I can really think of at this time,

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2009, 07:24 AM
Rookie

At this time I don't have a second monitor. I did take this problem pc to a friends for diagnosis and the same thing occurred with his monitor. He suggested faulty mobo but I am skeptical.

The PSU is a 460W that came with the case. You could be on the right track, but I was assured it would be able to run a comp with my components no problem. Maybe it could be faulty? I don't know.

I have tried switching and swapping the RAM, nothing changed. I will continue to try different scenarios, see if anything works.

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.
Old February 6, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What brand is the PSU?

EE
Old February 6, 2009, 07:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I hate to say it, but those OEM PSU's are not that great. Try a different one if possible. It took me 2 weeks to burn one out (literally burn) on an old AMD 939 setup (450W).

That would be my best guess in regards to this, although not getting signal with your onboard seems kinda odd , but again these are just my thoughts.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2009, 07:50 AM
Rookie

NCIX FORUMS - Who makes the PSU? - Coolermaster Elite RC-330 ATX Black Mid ...

I am not sure what brand the OEM PSU is, I will let you know when I get home this afternoon. I don't think the PSU is the problem, but I could be wrong. Everything seems to power up fine, and I'm not sure how the PSU would affect the monitor being recognized, but I guess stranger things have happened.