Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2009, 03:01 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Torrent killing browsing connection?

As the topic says.. whenever i load up a torrent all my browsers do not respond anymore.

However, the torrent continues to DL and i can log onto Steam.

Any ideas?
I am on Telus 6mb/s
Using a Speedtouch SE567 router (wireless gateway/modem)
Unfortunately due to telus firmware i cannot use the speedtouch as a bridge, and it is also unflashable due to a lock code.

Im contemplating contacting Telus for a switch to get their regular modem and purchasing a router such as the WRT54GL, or any other recommendations. .

Internet connection is for regular home use. Occasional torrents, lots of streaming, and gaming. Don't need a $200+ N Draft router, so any other recommendations within the 100$ range is a good choice. Thanks!
Old February 4, 2009, 03:05 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If you do plan on getting a different router, I would highly recommend this one:
Canadian Prices: D-Link Systems - Dlink Xtreme N Wireless Router (DIR-655) - DIR655
It can be had for around $100 and is by far the best router I've ever owned. Extremely fast, easy to set up and reliable to boot. Only problem is it's white and the blue LEDs and incredibly bright, but i just covered the LED's on mine and have been happy with it ever since.
Old February 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Happens with me. I figure it's just the torrent program saturating (Right word I hope) the connection and slowing your browser down.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old February 4, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not totally sure but it could be that you have your torrent client setup wrong, in that to many connections so what is most likely happening is your torrent download is sucking up all the internet juice which causes browsing to slowdown. also depending on your torrent client and your internet browsers could be using allot of Java, eg I use portable utorrent and a portable internet browser in which they don't use allot of Java but if I were to use a torrent client like Vuze ( formally called azureus) my browsing would slow down allot because of all the Java that Vuze needs to function properly
Old February 4, 2009, 03:11 PM
MVP
F@H

^yeah, i figured that might be the case, but i left my browser on for a very very long time.
it's absolutely shut down. i can't even get into MSn as well.

in regards to that router - is it a lot better than the WRT54GL? I have heard RAVE reviews abouit that router. Specially from DH :P

EDIT:: I also use utorrent :P
Old February 4, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Which Torrent client are you using right now?

Are you using Utorrent?
Old February 4, 2009, 03:16 PM
MVP
F@H

yes i am.
you guys are awesome - never thought id get such quick responses.
Old February 4, 2009, 03:16 PM
Top Prospect

I use uTorrent and have for a number of years. I have never had it affect my browser. Other then port number and the max upload connections... the majority of the settings i use are default.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:02 PM
MVP
F@H

mm... most of my settings are custom... i dont really understand why it happens :(
i googled any incidences but i only got as far as my router not being able to handle that many connections and crashes the connection to my computer...

hopefully i can figure it out. im waiting for Linus to figure out why my posting at NCIX is not working =\
Old February 4, 2009, 04:09 PM
MVP

Before you buy anything or change modems, you should try forwarding the port that you use to torrent, directly to your computer if you haven't already done so.

If you do decide to change up, I agree with you on the WRT54GL. There's so many good custom firmwares out there for that specific model.
If you need a cheap bridging modem this should do it.
TP-LINK TD-8816 EXTERNAL ADSL2/2 MODEM + Ethernet Router - TD-8816

I personally use the above TP-LINK modem with a WRT54GL router modified to the Tomato custom firmware.
The custom firmwares for the WRT54GL allow you great control over your modem. And Tomato is extremely easy to use. It has a Quality of Service option which sounds like something that would help you in your situation. It's also apparently easy to use (I don't use the QoS though, its confusing as heck to me lol, but my speeds are still great).

A bonus is that you can enable mlppp, which bypasses the throttling through my ISP.
I don't know much about Telus, if they support mlppp of if they even throttle your internet. But from your description, it does sound like they are throttling your internet.

Just a question, how fast do your downloads from fast websites go, and how fast do your torrent downloads go?

My current setup with Teksavvy (some people on these forums and RFD recommened them to me) can dl torrents at a constant 350kb/s if well seeded. It downloads from fast websites at 300-400. and 200gb bandwidth limit a month, all for $30 a month.
If your interested in a similar setup heres a link to the thread that helped me Beat Bells throttle via mlppp and a compatible wrt54gx series router. - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Also, sorry for getting off topic lol.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET