Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2009, 08:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Refer to this for rail configurations:

PC Perspective - OCZ GameXstream 700W Power Supply Review

Only one of the PCI-E's has it's own rail. The other is shared with the EPS connector. The molex's are shared with the 24-pin connection.

Make sure the card works in another machine. If it does, he might have to go to a single-rail PSU.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Awesome replies guys - thanks!

Unfortunately we don't have another machine kicking around to test that card on (my PSU has 2 x 6-pin PCI-E as well) but the PSU sounds like it could well be the issue.

Recommendations on a good single-rail PSU if it turns out that's what he needs?
He's fairly broke after buying the vid card so I'm sure he wouldn't want to spend too much.

He's only running 1 x HD & 1 x DVD drive, along with several case fans so other than the vid card there's not too much that needs extra power.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Awesome replies guys - thanks!

Unfortunately we don't have another machine kicking around to test that card on (my PSU has 2 x 6-pin PCI-E as well) but the PSU sounds like it could well be the issue.

Recommendations on a good single-rail PSU if it turns out that's what he needs?
He's fairly broke after buying the vid card so I'm sure he wouldn't want to spend too much.

He's only running 1 x HD & 1 x DVD drive, along with several case fans so other than the vid card there's not too much that needs extra power.
Any of the corsairs are good; 600, 750 etc.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Corsair makes single rail PSU's... go for at least 600w

PC power & Cooling makes wicked PSU's (my recommendation) also single rail, get silencer 610w or 750w.

NCIX.com - Buy PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad CrossFire 750W ATX V2.2 EPS12 24PIN Active PFC Power Supply Red - S75CF In Canada.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Corsair or Ultra (LSP or X3 Series) 600w for sure.
Both are single railed PSU's , and both are right up there as far as PSU's go.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A Corsair VX550 would eat that PC up and spit it out the backside. Stick to single rail power supplies and any good name brand 500W would run it no sweat. I run my entire PC off a 550W with ease. Most I have seen pulled through the wall outlet as measured by a Kill-A-Watt is 300W full load gaming. I sure wish people stopped over-suggesting needs.
Old February 4, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with you b1lk1 I think where people run into to a problem is where they use a 550, 600, or 700watt psu that is 2-3 years old and are under the impression its capable of powering modern day hardware. What older PSU's lack is the proper connections required, more powerful 12v rails and the use of splitters. I know from experience that my Antec NEO 550(minimum requirement for the GTX280) was not enough because I had to use 3 PCI-E cables just to supply power to my GTX280, long story short it didn't work and likely killed the PSU in the process. What does help some older PSU owners is nVidia finally moving to the 55nm fab process and now the GTX260 and GTX285 don't require the 8 pin PCI-E connectors.

I might of gone a little overboard with Antec TPQ 850w, but it does the job and provides me with a little future proofing. Besides it was $45 dollars cheaper when I bought it to what it retails for now.

Regards,

EE