Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Asus P6T Deluxe & RAID 0

Has ANYONE successfully installed windows XP on a RAID 0 setup using the onboard RAID controller on this motherboard? I might just have to get a RAID controller to do this

I have tried literally everything imaginable.. with the drivers on a floppy.. it seems the drivers are faulty. I even downloaded the ones off ASUS and intels site instead of using the ones on the support DVD with NO luck..

Has anyone did it? If so, what the hell did you do!

I did:

Set my 2 320GB drives from RAID mode, went in to the RAID setup (Ctrl + I) and set up my RAID 0 128k stripe no problem at all.

Tried to install windows from here = blue screen as soon as windows setup starts to load.

Switched to IDE mode, windows setup loads, doesn't recognize RAID, shows 2 seperate 320 GB drives.

Installed 64Bit drivers on Floppy drive (both in and out of windows) and try to use one of the 5 RAID drivers in windows setup = Error 4000 something on line 2000 something on each one.. Both same error in RAID mode and IDE mode in 32 bit and 64 bit windows with both bit drivers from the support DVD and asus and intels site (literally, everything possible)..

Still get errors.

So, has anyone done it? It seems to me like the drivers for the onboard RAID controller for this board are incompatible with XP (yes, both 32 and 64 bit I have both).

HOW did you do it? Thanks.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm starting to think this is something to due with my service pack 1 disk... maybe if I had a sp2 disk I wouldn't have these problems..

now I'm blue screened out of the OS entirely.. attempting a repair..

EDIT: Repair worked flawlessly.. but no RAID obviously..

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 1, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old February 1, 2009, 08:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just for sh#%s and giggles, did you try installing Windows 7 beta? That should have more recent OS support for raid.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 1, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't, no.. maybe I'll do that next weekend. I burned my WHOLE weekend re-installing trying to get this crap to work.

I'll try to obtain an XP x64 SP2 disk somehow, and give that a shot... if that doesn't work then I'm going to build a lightsaber and teach my computer who's boss.

Of course asus phone support is a joke.. it's either closed or busy.. I'd like to hear from them on why these RAID drivers don't work

At least my RAM will be in tomorrow, that'll give me some happiness... 2GB is a joke now-a-days..

EDIT: well.. now that I thought about it more, I did try the XP 32 bit disk that is SP2.. with no luck... uhh..

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 1, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old February 2, 2009, 12:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I realize that it may feel patronizing, but since I can't tell from your post how far you've gotten in your install, I must ask, are you pressing F6 and selecting the correct driver?

The Windows XP installer doesn't automatically read/detect from the floppy
Old February 2, 2009, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I realize that it may feel patronizing, but since I can't tell from your post how far you've gotten in your install, I must ask, are you pressing F6 and selecting the correct driver?

The Windows XP installer doesn't automatically read/detect from the floppy
Yeah, I was doing that, and also not doing that, both did bring up the same screen to select drivers from the floppy.

I just got blue screened out of windows AGAIN and can't get back in... I have NO idea what it is... the blue screen is so fast.
Old February 2, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh- it's XP- I guess you can ignore the PM then :-)
Old February 2, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol yeah sorry for not replying again... been busy with this stuff..

I just got a XP pro SP3 disc (good ol university) so I will try that, I don't have a floppy anymore though (borrowed one) so if windows doesn't recognize the drivers forget the RAID...

I just want my PC to work, it's a shame x64 is giving me all these troubles (see other thread) but I might have to go 32 bit again and say goodbye to half of my RAM..
Old February 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
Trial Member

Hi,

Just joined this forum. I successfully installed a mirrored RAID on this board. However, pressing < F-6 > to install the drivers never worked. Windows XP asks for the third party drivers, they would load from a floppy, Windows would begin installation, then blue-screen when it tried to reboot to continue the installation.

What did work was a great little program called nLite, which allows you to build a custom Windows installation CD. Since I'm new, I can't post any links, but do a search for nLite. It's under 3-doubleu's nliteos dot com.

You build the custom installation Windows CD using your regular Windows CD. It incorporates any third party drivers that you need and builds an ISO image for you to burn. Install Windows from the new CD and you're good to go.

Good luck.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by koret View Post
Hi,

Just joined this forum. I successfully installed a mirrored RAID on this board. However, pressing < F-6 > to install the drivers never worked. Windows XP asks for the third party drivers, they would load from a floppy, Windows would begin installation, then blue-screen when it tried to reboot to continue the installation.

What did work was a great little program called nLite, which allows you to build a custom Windows installation CD. Since I'm new, I can't post any links, but do a search for nLite. It's under 3-doubleu's nliteos dot com.

You build the custom installation Windows CD using your regular Windows CD. It incorporates any third party drivers that you need and builds an ISO image for you to burn. Install Windows from the new CD and you're good to go.

Good luck.
Awesome man, I'll look into that!

This is sweet because I still have my 2x320GB drives empty, so I can install windows on those, and do a dual boot and copy all my crap over from my current drive, and I won't lose anything.. Score!

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 12, 2009 at 12:03 PM.