Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2009, 03:15 AM
Rookie

Default laptop turns off after restart

Hi everyone!

My laptop is quite new. I have it for a year and a half and it's been working great. However, I have this weird problem for some time now. Whenever I (or windows) for whatever reason want to restart it, it does so without any problems, start up again, and then, just before the log on screen it goes black and completely turns off. I turn it on again, and it's working just fine. When I turn it on in the morning it also works fine. When it's on - and I keep it on all day - there is not a single problem. (I am not sure when this first happened since I rarely ever restart my laptop).

I reinstalled my system (vista) thinking how it had something to do with that, but the problem persisted. I also know it's not heating, because it happens on every restart, no matter if I just turned it on or if it's been working all day.

What I also noticed is, that sometimes, when I want to move my laptop from one desk to another it completely turns off... Could it be a loose connection? And if so, what do I do? I am not moving it very often, it's always on my desk. I do, however, carry it with me pretty often. It never fell down, nor did it ever get physically damaged in any way.

Can't wait to hear your opinions about this. I am out of ideas.

Thanks in advance!

laptop info:
Micro-Star International MSI Notebook ER710
Board: MSI MS-171B Ver 1.000
Display: ATI Radeon Xpress 1270 [Display adapter]
Processor: 1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TK-55
2Gb RAM memory
Old January 30, 2009, 03:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check the battery, sounds to me like it could be a possible source of the problem.
Old January 30, 2009, 05:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Check the battery, sounds to me like it could be a possible source of the problem.
Thanks for your reply, however, I am positive it is not the battery as it hasn't even been inside my laptop for quite some time now. (I take it out whenever I know I won't use it for a long time)

Any other suggestions?
Old January 30, 2009, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

It sounds like a power setting in the BIOS or in windows has changed. Check both to make sure that the laptop is not set to shut down after a soft reboot.
Old January 30, 2009, 06:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklym View Post
It sounds like a power setting in the BIOS or in windows has changed. Check both to make sure that the laptop is not set to shut down after a soft reboot.
Thanks, I checked the windows settings, nothing wrong with them, I'll check power settings in the BIOS next time I restart...
I don't think that's the problem though, because
a) I didn't change anything in the BIOS
b) it does restart it just won't completely boot up again

thanks a lot anyway :) I'll give it a try
Old January 30, 2009, 06:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Have you tried updating the BIOS? I had almost this same issue with a Dell laptop and updating the BIOS fixed it. The only problem I can see with this solution is that Dell has a VERY easy way to update their BIOSes but I am not sure about the MSI process.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Have you tried updating the BIOS? I had almost this same issue with a Dell laptop and updating the BIOS fixed it. The only problem I can see with this solution is that Dell has a VERY easy way to update their BIOSes but I am not sure about the MSI process.
Oh really? Now that sounds encouraging. I never updated the BIOS, to be honest, and so I am not sure how complicated that is. I will look into it right now, and try it :)

Thanks a lot. I will post back if that solves my problem!
Old January 30, 2009, 07:26 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Go to the MSI website and look for BIOS update instructions. If they don't have any instructions but have the BIOS file...bail.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Go to the MSI website and look for BIOS update instructions. If they don't have any instructions but have the BIOS file...bail.
Alright, here it goes...I went to their website, looked it up, and there was this online tool that shows and installs updates for all their products (BIOS included).

It took me some time to finally decide to give it a try (there were these be-careful-you'll-mess-up signs everywhere). Anyway, there were no updates! My version of the BIOS is obviously the last one...

Now I don't know what to do! I spent the last three days troubleshooting this and came up with no solution. It's so annoying.

Thanks a lot for your help though, if there is anything else you can think of, I'd be more than glad to hear it :)