Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Enabling Second monitor causes Hang

Okay here's my issue and what I have done so far.

I just hooked my old Samsung 930b to my computer enabled dual display restarted the computer and all was good.

The problem,

I came back 5 minutes later and the monitor was blank I restarted the computer, nothing just a black screen, I restarted second time I was told that WindowsXP had failed to start correctly. Finally after 3 times I was back into windows and was prompted with the usual "Windows has recovered from a serious error".

I uninstalled everything, cleaned all previous drivers and re-installed, sadly theres been no change since. Is it possible that there's something wrong with my video card?

Just remember that it worked perfectly for about 15 mins than abruptly it stopped working and hasn't worked since.

:help:

Thanks guys,

EE

The error for reference:
Attached Images

Old January 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I've had no further luck figuring this out. I uninstalled and cleaned 181.22 and installed 181.20 with no change as soon as I click apply the system hangs and I have to restart.

EE
Old January 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2 new strange errors that I have yet to figure out.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 1/29/2009
Time: 9:57:05 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ADAMSCOMPUTER
Description:
DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the service COMSysApp with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{ECABAFBC-7F19-11D2-978E-0000F8757E2A}
For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: COM+
Event Category: Unknown
Event ID: 4689
Date: 1/29/2009
Time: 9:57:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ADAMSCOMPUTER
Description:
The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in f:\xpsp3\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cp p(1184), hr = 8007041f: InitEventCollector failed
For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
Old January 30, 2009, 02:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've given up lets see what EVGA and NVIDIA has to say.

Thanks for taking at look guys,

EE
Old January 30, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The problem has persisted, I just finished installing Windows 7 beta 64bit and to my surprise as soon as I plugged in the 930B it hung the OS. Obviously I am starting to lean towards a hardware issue now. I belive its an issue with my GTX280 and not the monitor because I am working from it right now and its functioning just fine.

A little side note being on 19" is just strange because I can see so clearly!! That is obviously a bit of sign and probably why I wanted the smaller monitor so much better for typing and browsing the internet, the 24" WS is great for gaming though.

EE
Old January 30, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it looks like I will be RMA my first GTX280, clearly I have to conclude that this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. I have rolled back 4 driver releases and tested it on 2 operating systems with the same result everytime.

This will be my first RMA with EVGA, lets hope it goes well oh and thanks for all the help guys lol.

j/k...

Regards,

EE
Old January 30, 2009, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Talking to and/or answering yourself in an entire thread is not a good sign of mental health.

Did your GX280 tell you to ship itself back because it wasn't feeling well??
LOL

Anywho, on a serious note, I've never had an issue with Dual Monitors at all, so I was probably just as stumped as you were.
Mind you, I live in the stone age when it comes to monitors, while the wife has the good one.

Hopefully the RMA goes smoothly!

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just update my troubleshooting exprience as it goes along, trust me its very annoying when people find out what was wrong or the fix they used and don't post about it.

So the next time you recieve a stop error or your computer hangs after attaching a second monitor you'll have an idea what might be happening and why.

EE
Old January 30, 2009, 08:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I know EE, and it is appriciated.
You are true in saying that after lots of Troubleshooting and such, a lot of people don't say (its fixed now).

Was just, playing around :)

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 30, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Did you try doing like the "Fonz"? Just kidding bud, hope your RMA goes smoothly.