Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2009, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default CD makes system reboot

Ok so my issue is a weird one I have not dealt with before.

I just finished building a older machine and installed XP on it with no issues. This machine is an old Wyse thin client machine with just a VIA 1GHz processor and integrated graphics. Now XP is updated to SP3 and has basically nothing installed on it. Just Foxit, CCleaner, and Mozilla.

Today I go to install a couple of old games on it and just as the cd drive spins up the machine restarts. If I leave the disk in it will just stay in a reboot loop. It will get to the point that it should start to load the OS and then restart. If I take the disk out no problems and it boots right in.

Now I tried 3 different retail disks and they all do the same thing. I have read a few things but was hoping that someone here had seen something like this. One of the things that I did see was that it could be the power supply but if it was you would think that it would have died during the install of windows.

Oh and yes it runs flawlessly without a CD in the drive.

Any ideas out there?

Old January 26, 2009, 09:54 PM
Allstar

Change your bios to just boot up from the HD instead of the cd drive.

EDIT: Or is this all the time? Like even when you insert a cd when in windows?

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old January 26, 2009, 10:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had the same issue with a friend's machine. PSU was flaky. As soon as the motor in the drive started to draw current, the machine rebooted. Sounds like what's happening here.
Old January 27, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, that is what I have read but what gets me is why did the damn thing work over and over when installing windows right before? Then again it could be. I will have to try one of the other psu's and see if that fixes it.

Old January 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok so here is an update.

Since this is a Wyse thin client machine it doesn't have a psu, it is just run with a ac adapter. So what I did was take a different model and swapped my hard drive and motherboard into the other case (I wanted to anyways, has a little bit more room for the hard drive) and then plugged in the CD again. And now it works without a problem. Oh and this is with the same ac adapter, so either it was some one off thing or the converter that the ac plugs into was messed in the other case. I will find out once I plug another mobo into that case again. But hey for now I am happy since I got it working and now can get some of my oldie but goodie games (classic Sierra adventure games mostly) onto it.

Old January 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Ok so here is an update.

Since this is a Wyse thin client machine it doesn't have a psu, it is just run with a ac adapter. So what I did was take a different model and swapped my hard drive and motherboard into the other case (I wanted to anyways, has a little bit more room for the hard drive) and then plugged in the CD again. And now it works without a problem. Oh and this is with the same ac adapter, so either it was some one off thing or the converter that the ac plugs into was messed in the other case. I will find out once I plug another mobo into that case again. But hey for now I am happy since I got it working and now can get some of my oldie but goodie games (classic Sierra adventure games mostly) onto it.
Sierra adventure games? Like the roger wilco ones? God that brings me back..
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display
Old January 28, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest. And even a few others like Conquests of Camelot and Conquests of Longbow. I love those old games. :-)