Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2009, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Voltages are fine the 12v rail based on the values you given me its still within tolerance, athough I'd would have had like to seen slightly better. Provided the system is never overclocked and you stay away from videocards with high power requirements you should be just fine or you'll need a new powersupply.

I am most impressed by your willingness to troubleshoot maplicito most would have given up quite sometime ago, and your patients is most appreciated.

That being said with the suspect drive attached to your fathers computer enter the bios and under the main menu enter or IDE/Sata section check the bios settings for the drive.

What you should see:

Type: Auto
LBA/Large Mode: Auto
Block (Multi-Sector Transfer): Auto
PIO Mode: Auto
DMA Mode: UDMA 5
SMART: Auto
32 bit Data Transfer: Enabled

Ensure any sata devices attached to the system are configured to operate as an IDE device.

Save and quit.

Now in the device manager of vista open the IDE ATA/ATPI controllers tab
rightclick primary IDE Channel>>>Properties>>>Advanced Settings
Ensure that the transfer mode is "DMA if available" and the Current Transfer Mode is Ultra DMA Mode 5. Check any further channels available and ensure that they are operating with DMA access, if its a CD/DVD typically they will operate in UDMA 2 if I am not mistaken.

I have a copy of the manual for the drive with me so I can easily navigate the board with you.

Let me know how this works out for you. If its something you've already covered just ignore the post.

Regards,

EE
Old February 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

To answer 3 of 7, the board should be under warranty, but I don't believe it is actually faulty per se.

For Eagle Eye - I went into the BIOS, but the BIOS, unless I'm missing something which is quite possible, only reports the actual SATA devices, and not the IDE devices. The only SATA device is an LG DVD burner, but I do have that set as IDE.

In Vista, I have gone to the IDE ATA/ATPI controllers tab. I'm assuming the primary channel should be channel 0 - there are two entries for it, and I have gone to the advanced settings for each, but no device is shown. There are also two entries for channel 1, one of them contains his AOPEN IDE DVD burner.

Now, I think I saw a reference somewhere in Device Manager to the hard drive in question, but it was listed as SCSI which doesn't make any sense to me. I'll play with that to see if I have any progress - if I do, I'll let you know... otherwise I'm stuck.

As for the patience - I'm the one who got my dad spending money on upgrading his computer, so I dang well better get it working right! Thank you for the patience on your end however!

Edit: This is the hard drive in question: Seagate Technology - Barracuda 7200.10 Ultra ATA/100 250-GB Hard Drive
Old February 15, 2009, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect

Default Fixed?

I APPEAR to have solved the problem. I went into the hard drive's settings in Device Manager - Write Caching was already enabled, but Advanced Performance was not. I enabled this, and then stressed the system. How I have been doing this is to get Vista to update the Windows Experience Index as this can push all 4 cores simultaneously to a 90%+ load. This time around, after updating the WEI three times, no skips that I could notice.

I don't like the idea of using an option only recommended for use with a backup power supply - but I'm probably just being overly paranoid.

So - if there are any other relevant, or better ideas, I'd love to hear them - but I think for all intents and purposes, barring any more skipping showing up, the problem is solved.

Thanks again for the patience and help!
Old February 15, 2009, 12:19 PM
Allstar

If you have a drive emulator like deamon tools it'll show up as a SCSI drive.
Old February 15, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great and you're welcome!! Let us know if you need anymore assistance or if the problem persists.

Regards,

EE
Old February 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I didn't see you try was a reset of your PCI resources (in bios), &/or swapping the "resource aware OS" on and off to see if you can reset resources.

It's just a shot in the dark, but it's possible that the ide controller is stuck sharing resources with something that doesn't play well with it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP