Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2009, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

Hmm... my BIOS flash utility does not want to downgrade anyway. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I'm under the impression that those temperatures are fairly high. They don't really go much higher when Core Temp indicates that the cores are under load, but they aren't going below 41 degress when they're under no load either.

If that IS high, are there any suggestions? Do I need to get better cooling for my CPU, or is there a deeper problem? Or is this nothing to worry about?
Old January 22, 2009, 10:00 PM
Top Prospect

I have tried overclocking my computer again to see how this impacted my temperatures. The only thing I touched was the FSB, I overclocked it from 333MHz to 450MHz. I'm not sure how drastically that should change temperatures, but for the most part they are staying roughly the same range as they did when the FSB was at 333MHz, although I did see the core that had previously spiked at 52 or 53 degrees spike at 57 degrees. Aside from that brief spike, the range seems within a degree or two of the non overcocked temperature range.

I do have speedstep on, so my multiplier is ranging from 6 to 7 depending on load. Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with normal temperature ranges, but I'm a little leary of what the cores are doing. Is this normal? Or should I be doing something to address it.

Another observation - my dad's PC is poorly cooled, and runs from 40 to 55 degrees - I can physically feel the heat coming from his exhaust fan. With my temperatures where they're at, my case still feels like it's putting out a cold breeze. I'm assuming it's unlikely that the cores are incorrectly reporting their temperatures, and more likely that the increased airflow is disguising the heat coming from the CPU?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bryan

Last edited by Maplicito; January 23, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old January 23, 2009, 12:27 AM
MVP

Just a shot in the dark but has your heatsink been bumped? The way you describe the temperatures being higher even with everything (bios, FSB, and fan covering/placement) being as it was when you were getting the lower temperatures seems like something isn't the same in terms of how the CPU is being cooled. But regardless, your temps shouldn't be anything to be concerned about.
Old January 23, 2009, 12:40 AM
Top Prospect

I don't think so, but I'll try checking it in the morning after I've had some sleep. I'm glad to hear that the temperatures aren't something to worry about, but I'm still scratching my head at the drastic change.

EDIT: After doing some more research, and learning about TJ Max and CPU throttling and shutdown temperatures, I'm not nearly so worried about my CPU... I'll still be trying to figure this one out though - I definitely like the idea of lower temperatures if they're attainable. Now however, I'm almost wondering if the original BIOS version I had was under reporting CPU temperatures.

Last edited by Maplicito; January 23, 2009 at 01:36 AM.