Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2009, 05:35 AM
MVP

Default testing software needed

friends fairly new comp shuts down periodicaly (inside is clean,fans are working) wanted to know what diagnostic / testing programs to run,something that might cause the fault and generate an error report.
thanks
Old January 17, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You may want to see if the computer is shutting down due to software problems first (examine what programs run at startup, check for viruses, update drivers, clean up registry, etc.). You can also look at Windows's error logs. That's Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer for Vista, but IIRC it's almost the same thing in XP.

If the problem is a SHUT DOWN rather than a RESTART (i.e. you have to push the button to make the computer start again), I'd lean more towards hardware.

If you really think it's hardware that's causing the problem, you can try some programs from here: Overclocking tools of the trade
The order I run things in is:
1. Memtest86+ (see if RAM is faulty)
2. Prime95 (see if CPU cooling can handle being loaded)
3. Furmark (ditto for GPU)