Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Please help me solve this USB mystery !

I have a very mysterious problem - I usually troubleshoot my problems but this one has me puzzled !

I have an IOGEAR multicard reader model GFR280, I've had it for a very long time and it works great ! It IS a USB 2.0 device, comes with a USB2 cable - but here is the mystery - Whenever I plug this unit on my PC I get a message saying this high-speed USB device will function at low speed because it is plugged in a non high speed hub.

In other words, it is functioning as a USB 1.1 device - I confirmed this by running EVEREST ULTIMATE and the GFR280 unit is detected as 1.1 and functions as a 1.1 device, yet its capabilities list it as 2.0, and so does the product documents itself !

I have an ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE, recent bios, and ALL ports on this motherboard are USB2 capable. I tried plugging the unit in every possible port - the 4 on the back, and the ones on the motherboard same crap.

Yes, I can confirm my ports are functioning properly as I have plugged other USB2 devices and they detect and function as USB2, I tried unplugging everything and just the unit, same thing. It is definately not a driver issue as everything is in order, USB2 controller is enabled and fully functioning as I sometimes use my external drives and they work as USB2. This is the only piece of hardware that gets seen as USB1.1 !

WTF...... I am running Windows XP SP3 & VISTA SP1, tried under both same thing....... All my chipset drivers are up to date. and this device requirse no drivers, it's detected as any other mass storage device...... what gives ???

It is very frustrating to have to read your memory cards at less than 1MB/s !

I have another card reader, reads only SD/SDHC, it plugs directly in the USB port, and that is detected as USB2, no problem.

Now maybe you will say "your card reader is probably a 1.1 unit", but I can tell you IT ISN'T.......... Comes with a USB2 cable and what is more mysterious is that even my system KNOWS its a USB2 device but says I am using USB1.1 hubs, BULLSHIT, because on the SAME port when I plug something else it works at USB2 speeds.

Does this all make sense ? THis is very mysterious.

This is what i'm using
IOGEAR - GFR280 - Universal Memory Bank Card Reader

If anybody can suggest me something I haven't tried and solve this mystery I'd be thankful
Old January 14, 2009, 05:15 PM
Allstar

tired it in another computer?

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old January 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

USB card readers have always tormented me. So far, the only 2 I have ever used without MAJOR issues are the ones built into the Dell 2407 and my current Dell 2709. I am guessing it is a power issue since the ones built into my LCD's are self powered hubs.
Old January 14, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes of course I tried it on another computer - I have 2 computers both same specs - and my old old setups, same thing. The card reader works fine, no "problems" other than it being reported as a HIGH speed device working in a USB1.1 hub when I know very well my system is fully USB2 sine everything else works in USb2. ;)
Old January 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have any other cables to test it against thinking maybe that cable you have could be the source of the problem or the units firmware was flashed incorrectly.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 14, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 06:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

In device manager; as the card reader is plugged in, does it read "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller"? If not, what does it read?
Fold for team #54196
Old January 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's not the cable - I have tried another cable and same problem - When I plug the unit the message already says the device is a USB2 but it is functioning slow because my USB port is 1.1 - makes no sense, it's reporting as if my USB port is not 2.0 compatible, which is insane....I know it is, I've been using USB2 devices on both systems and they always work in full usb2.

Can't be a cable issue.

Can't be a driver issue, sine my other USB2 devices work.

As pointed out all drivers are in check, in device manager I do have the USB Enhanced controller and USb2 is active.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As I said before it could a firmware related issue. Have you contacted IoGear for some form of tech support they'd know best and likely will have a better solution.

Try this piece of software and remove all instances of the device if you can

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview.zip

Let me know how that works out for you.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 14, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is no firmware in this card reader/writer, at least none that can be upgraded. I was thinking at first maybe the unit is using its own protocol (proprietary) but after checking / probing my USB ports it isn't.....which is why it is a big mystery to me. It's NOT a power issue either as the unit is well within specs.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I am not convinced its a not a driver issue or possibly some bios issue (ie. legacy mode enabled, confusing Windows).

These things are often installed automatically by Windows...there could be a bridge inside the unit that connects all the various ports together, and that 'bridge' is being installed as 1.1, but your card ports are being read as 2.0, thus the weird message you are getting ("high-speed USB device will function at low speed because it is plugged in a non high speed hub").

You sure theres no driver you can install yourself?
Fold for team #54196