Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2009, 05:11 PM
Rookie

Question Weird crashes with new rig killing hardrives?

So I have a new rig I built from ncix, couple months old.

Everything seemed fine but when I burned cd or dvd's it started to crash. Not just a crash but it would not re-boot and I got a searching dhcp screen ( looking for harddrive?)

I thought was simple hardware error so I checked connections, etc, nada, I phoned ncix and they said to send HD back which I did.

I got a brand new harddrive back that's worked ok for a month and now I get the same damn errors when burning cd's or dvd's.

Crashes, complete black screen, no inputs work, upon reboot ..searching for dhcp..nothing. After a couple more reboots it comes back but takes like 10 minutes to load. I don't get wtf is going on I have nothing on this computer, maybe 2 apps and 2 games, virus free.

My error log in event viewer shows 463 disk errors in last week. This is the second new harddrive, is it possibly im just unlucky and got 2 bum drives? Or is my MB killing them somehow?

Error:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Log name: system
source:disk
Event Id:7

My build:

Lg gh22ns30 dvd
Seagate barracuda sata2 7200rpm 750g
Asus P5Q Pro
Palit 4850 vid cad
Vista 64 bit home premium
4gb gskillz ram
Intel Core 2 duo E8500 3.16ghz

It also seems to be worse when I attach an external HD via usb , forget my model but its in an Ultra external case. I have stopped bothering to burn anything for fear that it dies like my last hd.
Old January 12, 2009, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LMAO I just about fell off my chair when I read the first 2 lines and said "watch it be a Seagate drive" and then looked at you're sig.

Dude my advice send it back and ask for a Samsung or Western Digital and report back with likely no problems.
If there is any chance you can download Seatools and run the SMART test and report back what it says. Thats if you can install it...

Seagate Technology - SeaTools for Windows

Sheesh I'm still laughing lol,

EE
Old January 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

It does sound like a hard drive problem, you might have to send the drive back. @EE I thought seagates were good, does this change with the larger capacities? Anyways, check your network stuff as well because that searching for DHCP error is probably network related.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the tool.

Smart scan passed but short scan failed..now what?

Its says to run the repair utility in dos mode or check the warranty wtf.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think any test that results in a "fail" is subject to a RMA contact NCIX since its only been a month and see what they say, not sure of terms of their return policy on HDDs.

@Matt

There are plenty of people out there that have had no problems with seagate drives in all capacites, maybe its just coinencidence but there have been a number people lately on the forums that reported their seagate drives failing them including the 2 DOAs I had back about a month ago. Subject to wide speculation of course it has been reported that drives with certain firmwares have had problems and the chinese manufacturing plants have come under scurtiny for poor qaulity control.

Freakyflow below enter all the required information and run the DOS utility if you need any assistance let me know it should be pretty straight forward if you know how to create a bootdisk.

Seagate Registration - SeaTools Disc Diagnostic

Regards,

EE
Old January 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
Rookie

I don't understand I dl seatools and it has no .iso file. I also registered and downloaded the link above which is a En >iso image file download for Dos, It a zip file that contains NO .iso file. I also downloaded the text only .iso and it has no .iso file in it WTF.

The zip contains : .ico, .pdf, 2 .txt and 1 .inf file.

I just don't get it.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Geezus just don't assume its OMG Seagate so its gotta be the problem.

There could be lots of reasons they also didn't post the brand of motherboard or their power supply either.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I doubt that it is the Drive because why would that happen when you burn a disk? maybe it is a mb problem with sata or a sata cable problem or even a dvd writer problem. boot into safe mode and try it who knows it could even be a PSU problem and even a heat problem
on a different note I guess that I have been lucky because almost every hard drive I have own has been a Seagate and I have never had any problems with them.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I doubt that it is the Drive because why would that happen when you burn a disk? maybe it is a mb problem with sata or a sata cable problem or even a dvd writer problem.
on a different note I guess that I have been lucky because almost every hard drive I have own has been a Seagate and I have never had any problems with them
Exactly and he's using a 750g drive which to anyones knowledge hasn't had ANY issues.

@OP
Download this -> Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD

And run the Hard Drive diagnostic HDAT2
Old January 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

which other programs are running at the same time, if you have Norton AV running this could also cause a problem try disabling software before hand