Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyflow View Post
OK genius what causes block errors in brand new HD's? Don't call me a ******* ninny when you suggest no alternatives.
If you actually read my previous posts as well as others.. you'd see suggestions were made ;)
Old January 13, 2009, 02:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This thread is full of fun. lol. To speak on Seagate's behalf, my two 640's have been perfect for five months now.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
OK genius what causes block errors in brand new HD's? Don't call me a ******* ninny when you suggest no alternatives.
Faulty SATA controller(motherboard issue)
Faulty SATA Connector/Cable
Power Fluctuations (Faulty, or just plain crappy PSU)
Faulty RAM(memory issue)
Faulty Traces(faulty motherboard in general)

There are PLENTY reasons for block errors in a new(or old for that matter) HDD, we are all just trying to help you pin it down. Maybe you had a bad luck of the draw and got 2 DOA drives twice in a row, or MAYBE, as we are trying to figure out, there is something killing the drives off.

In case someone wants to label me as a Seagate lover, my dislike for Seagate drives is known. I'm personally a WD lover.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bad RAM will cause corrupted data, and they will be written like any data on the HDD and should not cause defective sectors - Also when seatools is telling you that it "fixed" something it didn't FIX anything - your HDD quietly relocates to a spare sector and flags the bad one, that's what HDDs do quietly - You can find that out by looking at the SMART attributes for pending and reallocated sectors - A HDD that comes with bad sectors already, not a good sign and don't bother using it, and if the counts gets worse, stop using it ! it will get worse.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Seagate News!

Fail: 1TB Seagate Barracudas Collapsing A Gogo, Users Say
Old January 16, 2009, 07:13 AM
Rookie

btw I wanted to add that the supposedly repaired original 750gb seagate hd has been returned to me by ncix and I wanted to install it and ghost my current new HD before I ran further tests, etc. I tried to formated it using disk management in vista before bed last night, 10 hours later its at 33%. Ya seagate what a great product.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
btw I wanted to add that the supposedly repaired original 750gb seagate hd has been returned to me by ncix and I wanted to install it and ghost my current new HD before I ran further tests, etc. I tried to formated it using disk management in vista before bed last night, 10 hours later its at 33%. Ya seagate what a great product.
NCIX doesn't repair hard drives.

They will just switch them out.

What happened when you went to ncix?

And did you do "normal format" or "quick format"

Because a normal format will take a extremely long time .. but 10 hrs seems a bit long.
Old January 16, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had the same issue with my drive to, formatting it through the DM tool it was barely past 10% after 4 hours, subsequently using the Seatools formatting took mere seconds.

Freaky what do you replace it with?

EE
Old January 17, 2009, 08:34 AM
Rookie

You are correct ncix did not repair it they just replaced it with same model. I stopped the DM it seems buggy( at current spedd it would have taken over 30 hours!) and used seatools and it formatted fine in less than 2 hours.

So now I have brand new 750g (replaced one) and still have the 250g one that my os is on that works but is problematic with errors and crashes, Im going to ghost my stuff onto the 750 and run further tests on the 250, and most likely return it as well.

The tools you guys linked were very helpful, thank you.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Thought Id add it was even dugg.

Complaints flood Seagate over hard drive problems