Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
Eagle Eye's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kleinburg, ON
Posts: 2,069

My System Specs

Default

LOL I knew it it was only a matter of time enaberif

Download the following files, you might need winrar to extract them and you will also need some form of burning to software to burn the image to cd, NERO works great.

If you happen to have a floppy drive kicking around you could use that or create a bootable USB stick.

EE
Attached Files
File Type: rar SEATOOLS ISO.rar (1.90 MB, 26 views)
File Type: rar SEATOOLS create floppy.rar (1.42 MB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 10:36 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
LOL I knew it it was only a matter of time enaberif

Download the following files, you might need winrar to extract them and you will also need some form of burning to software to burn the image to cd, NERO works great.

If you happen to have a floppy drive kicking around you could use that or create a bootable USB stick.

EE
I get tired of people blaming Seagate. Yes they have their problems, yes they publicy said they have problems but not EVERYONE has problems and people who generalize that seagate sucks and is the cause of all problems doesn't help rectify the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 10:54 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Default

Well its obviously the HD since when I boot it said "HD not found" and in my error log im getting about 500 bad sector errors a week, it is brand new.

I think its related to my burning because of the temp files it writes to my hd during the burn process?


Anyhow im going to burn the .iso now
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 10:58 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyflow View Post
Well its obviously the HD since when I boot it said "HD not found" and in my error log im getting about 500 bad sector errors a week, it is brand new.

I think its related to my burning because of the temp files it writes to my hd during the burn process?


Anyhow im going to burn the .iso now
HDD not found can be a cause of many problems.

1) Faulty sata Port
2) Faulty sata cable
3) Faulty psu
4) Faulty HDD

That's why I say grab that UBCD and put it on a cd and run that HDAT2 program.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
misterd's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charlottetown, P.E.I.
Posts: 607
Default

I have a bad 750GB Seagate as well. Find out if you're using dreaded SD15 firmware with a drive made in Thailand.
__________________
#hardwarecanucks on irc.freenode.net
fiat justitia ruat caelum

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

I've seen a BAD power supply kill drives one after the other on friends of a relative's PC - and the drives were all WDs - Even put one of my old test drives and within a few hours it crashed......
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 01:11 PM
Nodscene's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 944
Default

Hmm, I have 2 750GB Seagates with the "dreaded" SD15 firmware made it Thailand and have zero issues with them.
__________________

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.
_____________________________________

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 01:51 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Default

I ran the seagate dos repair, fast scan failed, the long scan detected and "said" it fixed the error but I have doubts. I'm going to clone my HD and run more tests and see what happens.

My firmware is sd11 no idea where its made but I doubt ill be buying seagate again since both those drives failed and they were brand new (they are also diff models).

From what Ive read you can't really repair block errors, I still find it odd they both broke in the same fashion, burning dvd and cd data, when the data I was burning is on an external hd that's worked great for 2+years.


ps. doubt its a power issue, I have 650w corsair and only 1 vid card.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 01:53 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyflow View Post
I ran the seagate dos repair, fast scan failed, the long scan detected and "said" it fixed the error but I have doubts. I'm going to clone my HD and run more tests and see what happens.

My firmware is sd11 no idea where its made but I doubt ill be buying seagate again since both those drives failed and they were brand new (they are also diff models).

From what Ive read you can't really repair block errors.
Oh quit being a little ninny.

You have no idea if the drives were faulty or if it could have been caused by something else.

You'd be looking a bit foolish if you got a 3rd drive of a diff manu and it was faulty.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old January 13, 2009, 01:55 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Oh quit being a little ninny.

You have no idea if the drives were faulty or if it could have been caused by something else.

OK genius what causes block errors in brand new HD's? Don't call me a ******* ninny when you suggest no alternatives.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am really frustrated computer crashes on boot andynerd Troubleshooting 31 December 29, 2008 01:41 PM
random crashes tom.mullie Troubleshooting 14 November 23, 2008 06:20 AM
Weird crashes when watching streaming video... iv:xx Troubleshooting 2 October 9, 2008 04:43 PM
New computer, new crashes Asspigeon Troubleshooting 48 October 14, 2007 05:48 PM
Growl!!! BF2142 Crashes in VISTA CMetaphor Gaming 5 June 6, 2007 10:42 AM