Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Default Motherboard fire :/ What'd cause this? (OC related i guess)

So i finally got my water cooling system for Christmas and just now got it up and running, i decided it was time to up my CPU a bit! The highest i could get it stable with Prime 95, however, was 3.0Ghz. At stock settings it runs fine with idle temps of 24/22/16/19 and load temps just a bit higher. At 3ghz the temps were also awesome. I tried pushing it past 3 into 3.2, 3.4 and such but couldnt get it stable at all. On a 3.4 test of Prime95 i heard a popo and seen a bright light coming from the case, i looked in and there was a flame coming out of the top corner of the motherboard near the 4 pin connector which quickly put itself out as the computer powered off. Note that with the stress test running no temp broke 40 on the CPU and the motherboard reported 41ish when this happened. I quickly unplugged everything, redid it, powered it back on and tried back to the stable 3.0 ghz from before. Again.... fire :| After much struggling i manage to have the PC booting fine at stock settings again, but wtf? I attatched a picture of my motherboard, circling the points that are now visibly burned a bit. Also to note is that the 1R2 near the 4 pin connector has been running extremely hot, untouchably hot. This is really freaking me out and i honestly don't understand what it could be. Note that while i am new to overclocking, i didn't do anything stupid that i know of... vcore stayed below 1.5, i didn't +voltage to the northbridge or FSB, and i kept RAM 1:1 with the FSB with rated timings... anyone?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Q6600
Corsair TX 850w PSU
Corsair Dominator C5D 2x2GB DDR2 1066
Attached Images

Old January 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A P35 board with only a 4 pin connector???

Did you check to make sure that you didn't have something shorted on the backside of it?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The overclock did not help (I ran Q6600s at 3.6 and 4.0 with that board) but it's not what killed your board. One of the biggest problems when water-cooling a computer is the lack of airflow around the motherboard components. They can get toasty hot, and I'm not surprised it caught fire - both DS3Ls I had were hot, really hot runners.

You'll have to RMA the board to Gigabyte, if they accept to replace it.

Good luck.
Old January 11, 2009, 08:37 PM
Rookie

How exactly would you cool those 3 tiny chips? They don't even seem significant, i'm running all of this inside a HAF 932 which is pretty good with airflow or so i thought. Yes it has a 4 pin connector, the PSU is 8-pin but everything i've read has said it's perfectly fine to use that in there and let the extra 4 hang over the side if there's clearence. I'll double check the back now to see if anything is shorted but i don't believe so. Is it even possible that the motherboard isn't damaged beyond those burns? I'm running it at stock now perfectly 0 issues with booting or performance...
Old January 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

For extra cooling...... NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech BMR-C1 Forged Copper BGA Memory Heatsinks for Video Card Memory 8 Pack W/ Thermaltape - BMR-C1 In Canada.

The tape on those is pretty decent but if you ever decide to re-use them you'll need something like this... NCIX.com - Buy Sekisui Thermal Double Sided Tape Sekisui Product Code 5760 25MM (1IN) X 50 Meter Roll - SEKISUI-5760 In Canada. (enough tape to do 10 enthusiasts for their entire lives.... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 11, 2009, 08:47 PM
Rookie

Ok, so what exactly are those 3 chips that burned?
Old January 11, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Those little chips (called MOSFETS) are what regulate and condition the power going into the CPU, and they handle some serious levels of amperage, especially when the load is only spread out across few of them, and you're trying to power a quad-core processor. High-end boards will have as many as 16 of those little things, with heatsink assemblies attached, to ensure that even the highest overclocks can be powered. Those little Enzotech sinks will make a world of difference, but some airflow is important too.

Make sure the heatsinks are secure, since you don't want a piece of copper falling down onto some random spot on your motherbaord while the computer is running.

Honestly, I think I'm surprised your computer even boots after burning a few of those. My first P35 board had the same problem, and it was a complete no-boot after it happened.
Old January 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

wow that sucks RMA time
Old January 12, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynd View Post
How exactly would you cool those 3 tiny chips? They don't even seem significant
Those insiginifcant tiny chips can operate as high a 150oC maximum temperature keeping them cool is very important. Any board you see with heatsinks around the base of the cpu socket are cooling the MOSFETS, while board may not have them its because it was not intended to be an overclocked, however with proper cooling any good board as with this one it can be done.

Quote:
Heat production

The ever-increasing density of MOSFETs on an integrated circuit is creating problems of substantial localized heat generation that can impair circuit operation. Circuits operate slower at high temperatures, and have reduced reliability and shorter lifetimes. Heat sinks and other cooling methods are now required for many integrated circuits including microprocessors.
Power MOSFETs are at risk of thermal runaway. As their on-state resistance rises with temperature, if the load is approximately a constant-current load then the power loss rises correspondingly, generating further heat. When the heatsink is not able to keep the temperature low enough, the junction temperature may rise quickly and uncontrollably, resulting in destruction of the device.
MOSFET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech MOS-C1 Exceptional Heat Dissipation for Integrated Mosfet Motherboards & Video Cards - MOS-C1 In Canada.

Also another option...

As MpG said make sure they're secure.

To keep the area cooler with a little extra airflow check out the product below.

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System Cooler Blue LED 3 Speed 2000-3000RPM 23-33DBA 15-22CFM - SPOT COOL In Canada.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Those insiginifcant tiny chips can operate as high a 150oC maximum temperature keeping them cool is very important. Any board you see with heatsinks around the base of the cpu socket are cooling the MOSFETS, while board may not have them its because it was not intended to be an overclocked, however with proper cooling any good board as with this one it can be done.

MOSFET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech MOS-C1 Exceptional Heat Dissipation for Integrated Mosfet Motherboards & Video Cards - MOS-C1 In Canada.

Also another option...

As MpG said make sure they're secure.

To keep the area cooler with a little extra airflow check out the product below.

NCIX.com - Buy Antec Spot Cool Adjustable System Cooler Blue LED 3 Speed 2000-3000RPM 23-33DBA 15-22CFM - SPOT COOL In Canada.
Well I am very glad I read this before I get into actually OC my system because i have the same board SO i WIll be picking up a few of those and puting them on each and everything that produces heat