Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New build won't power up- please assist

I've been AWOL for a while FINALLY putting together my i7 build into my new tj07.

Last night at 1AM, I finally finished and was ready to let 'er rip and pushed the button but got nothing.

deep sigh

So after spending for days on cable management which combined with the water cooling loop has made the case completely unworkable, I set out to track down the issue (this is why I think cable management obsession is a scourge on us)

When I power on the PSU the lMOBO (p6T) ights on the reset and power buttons turn on, but when I hit he power buttong nothing.

So I hit the power and reset buttons on the mobo in case I screwed up the q-connector.

Then I tried jumping the green and black wires on the power dongle- I used a connector designed for two PSUs so I could d it with the wire still hooked to the motherboard. WHen I di this, the fans and pump and all start, but no boot or anything- the one difference on the motherboard is that the little white LEDsunder the ASUS label light up.

So I have a working power supply so I'm thinking it migh be a problem with my 12v cpu power cable which is jammed in behind the motherboard and will be immpossible to disconnect without removing the motherboard and the entire watercooling loop and all of my tightly wound cable management- it will be a frein nightmare if I need to unhook that stupid cable- and the fact that it looks fine doesn't mak that prospect very appealing.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that I did somthing nasty to the motherboard during the build and it's #$%ED.

So does anyone have any suggestions/ ideas that I could try?

Thanks,

Babs
Old January 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Back to basics:

CMOS reset.
Minimum components installed: cpu, single GPU, single ram stick, no HDD, no USBs.
Make sure 24 pin and 4+4 pin connectors are properly installed.
Old January 10, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks- it turned out that at some point I had knocked the cmos jumper off and it was missing- I put another one on after resetting the cmos for good measure and restarted mistakenly allowing relief to settle in, but still no post (but it did power up)- fans and water pump all run.

I took put one video card, unhooked all sata and USB and tried all three sticks of ram singly, but still no post. I'm at a loss now- I dread having to strip it down and start again with another power supply especially when I don't think that's th problem- I'm afraid it's the mother which would really rot since I've had to wait for nearly two months to do this build already through various shipping fiascos.
Old January 10, 2009, 02:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You tried booting naked (cpu,1 stick, gpu) and still no luck? Doesn't look good for the board...