Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 10:17 AM
Rookie

Default GTX 280 Power-up Issues

Hey guys,

I built my own rig a few months back, and have been enduring an ongoing problem since the day I put it together. When I power up my PC, I would say at least 50% of the time, the fan on my video card (GTX 280) goes to 100% speed, and I get no display from my monitors whatsoever. When this happens, depending how far along my computer is in the boot process, I have to either press my power button or hold it for five seconds and try booting again. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as to when it will work. Also on the off time my video will just decide to stop responding after a restart, and I will be forced to once again power off and retry.

My system is as follows:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.2GHz
GPU: BFG GTX 280 OC 1GB DDR3
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 & 2x1GB Mushkin DDR2-800 PC2-6400
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Deluxe w/ latest BIOS (I've tried various versions)
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 850W
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos S - I'm only mentioning this because this case takes the larger ATX cable from the PSU and has its own ATX to go into the motherboard. I believe this is to get the touch panel at the front to work, but I am unaware if this has potential for issues.
Monitors: 24" Samsung and 22" Samsung - I have no reason to believe that these are part of the issue, and I have tested with a single monitor just in case.

I have contacted BFG regarding the issue, their suggestions included a BIOS update, a driver clean-up/reinstall, and a chipset driver update. None of these suggestions have made much of a difference. Any advice from experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
Allstar

You've got a pretty good rig there. Sucks to have these type of problems after shelling out so much $$$. Sounds like a PSU problem to me if you're not getting a display at startup or you have to hold the power button or reboot a couple of times. Happened to me for a few old systems when the PSU started dying and couldn't deliver enough power until it was running and warmed up for a while. Replaced PSU and no problems thereafter. You may want to wait for some PSU experts like SKY to chime in though before you do anything rash like buying a new one. If you have a spare PSU or one you can borrow, I'd try that first.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Provided you did try what BFG suggested, in particular and "proper" uninstall of old Drivers and re-install new Drivers (tried a couple of versions of WHQL Drivers?) then my next step would be:
If you know someone with a Rig capable of running that 280 I would try it in a different Rig....if it continues...RMA the Card.

Old January 9, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
RAM: 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 PC2-8000 & 2x1GB Mushkin DDR2-800 PC2-6400
Are you running 2 different sets of memory in that computer?

EE
Old January 9, 2009, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Are you running 2 different sets of memory in that computer?

EE
Right now yes, but I have tried running only the G.Skill set and got the same results.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I notice you are running 2 different sets of ram, try taking out the DDR2-800 making sure the DDR2-1000 sticks are in slots 1-3 or 2-4 or vice versa and see if that helps. You might also want to disconnect one monitor and see what happens. As rj said trying the card in another rig is always a good idea too.

ooops, was too late with this post I see..lol

Old January 9, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First thing I noticed and always a potential for problems, however apparently not in this case interesting to say the least.

Try what Rj suggested if you can and report back hopefully than we'll have a little more to work with and if you haven't already run your system at stock settings and only with 1 set of ram not 2 try both see it changes anything.

Btw welcome to forums
Old January 9, 2009, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
First thing I noticed and always a potential for problems, however apparently not in this case interesting to say the least.

Try what Rj suggested if you can and report back hopefully than we'll have a little more to work with.

Btw welcome to forums
Thanks Eagle Eye :)

I have a buddy that I'll be able to talk into helping me out who's actually part of these forums, so hopefully some time in the next few days I'll be able to test out my card on his rig. I appreciate the help that all of you guys have provided so far, so thanks a lot. I'll report back with an update in a bit, but in the meantime if there are any others that would like to provide input, feel free.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Sw3pt you're in Toronto, where abouts? If ya need another card or system to test it out I'd be happy to lend ya a hand.

EE
Old January 9, 2009, 01:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well sw3pt is at my place now however I have the Quattro 850W as well. What were the apparent issues with them?

So far, the card is doing the same thing though it resets my Maximus Formula normally until the card decides to work. However sometimes the motherboard will go on without the GPU at all.

The power LED on the card stays green throughout all this. Only turns red if I use 2 6pin PCIE power cables.

Any more thoughts?