Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
Rookie

Default gtx 280 LEDs are red and there's no display on monitor! :(

hello guys,

I have a gtx 280 and when I boot up my computer the LEDs are red (if everything's fine the LED glows green), and there's no display on the screen. I'm aware that it means no power supply is connected, even though it is.

I've had no problem with the card for a couple weeks up until now. What happened before the card started failing is that my buddies came over and brough their rigs. I have 2 rigs, so I had to disconnect everything from the computer with the GTX 280 in it and move it aside.

Several days later I moved it back plugged it back in and I started experiencing what's going on above. I never OC'd the card. I checked to make sure it was in the PCIe slot okay. when i plug in a cheap pcie card (doesnt need power cables) everything is fine. didnt test a new PSU yet.

anyone have any idea what I should do? :help:

Last edited by RA3KW0N; January 25, 2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Pull it out and re-seat it in the pci-x slot, firmly. The same thing happened to my 260. It barely clears my southbridge chip and sata cables and is kinda precariously seated as is.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its probably the card then, my suggestions is apply for a rma and contact BFG tech and see if they can't help you troubleshoot further. I am not suprised that you're having problems even my GTX280 is troublesome at times, everything from random crashes to lock ups and the occasional BSOD, although it hasn't failed me yet I have half expect it to at some point and time.

Have you tried your 4870x2 on the board with the same PSU?

EE
Old January 9, 2009, 10:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Pull it out and re-seat it in the pci-x slot, firmly. The same thing happened to my 260. It barely clears my southbridge chip and sata cables and is kinda precariously seated as is.

hmm. tried doing that, even with my hand pressing it in firmly while turning it on (grounded myself first + not touching any important parts of the card). any other suggestions? this sucks! :(
Old January 9, 2009, 10:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Its probably the card then, my suggestions is apply for a rma and contact BFG tech and see if they can't help you troubleshoot further. I am not suprised that you're having problems even my GTX280 is troublesome at times, everything from random crashes to lock ups and the occasional BSOD, although it hasn't failed me yet I have half expect it to at some point and time.

Have you tried your 4870x2 on the board with the same PSU?

EE
BFG was saying i might be my PSU because those red led lights are "only indicative of no power going to the card" which is BS because of course it can mean that the card is faulty. but i didnt even want to set up an RMA at that point, just wanted some input + advice. Haven't tried 4870x2 on the board because it's a total b***h to dismantle a watercooling loop and set it back up -_-
Old January 9, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I see, didn't know you were WC on the first rig entirely out of the question.

You could try putting it into the second PCI-E slot with another card as the maindisplay, when in the OS enable the second for card as the primary or hook up a secondary display and see if it works. If that doesn't work you'll probably have to look into getting a temporary PSU replacement for the time being or lastly just RMA the card.

I do find it interesting that your PSU has 6 12v rails its very possible that the GTX280 is overloading 1 and causing it too fail. Personally a single rail is the best to a maximum of 4, 6 is just excessive and likely to create more problems than solve them.

Any indication from the PSU LED that there might be a problem?
Old January 9, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just throwing some other possible causes into the mix

Perhaps the water-block is shorting/warping the card? You could try putting the stock cooler back on to see (leave the watercooling block attached to the loop and try booting). Some of the water-blocks (EK) can cause problems (even if it worked previously) by shorting or warping the card. Re-seating the card with fiber washers might fix it.

Other than that GTX280's have been known to die for no apparent reason.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I killed a BFG 280 with an EK FC block...
Old January 9, 2009, 12:37 PM
MVP
F@H

I would RMA the card.
Old January 9, 2009, 12:46 PM
Rookie

charlie you sold me that EK FC block!!! T_T