Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2009, 05:05 AM
Top Prospect

The voltage issue is MOBO sensor related and not uncommon, never trust your mobo sensors to tell you anything more then you actually have voltage. They are not reliable and prone to error. When I worked for an Intel shop, they used to tell us to ignore all BIOS and sensor information other then it told you if it worked or not, little else.

Memory is a great option but check out BIOS settings in relation to your AGP card. Apeture sizes can vary, 64 is a good size but 128 as long as your card has more memory will be more stable. Make sure BIOS setting for caching video is OFF that is an old setting and can cause issues with newer cards on a older mobo. Also your BIOS may have AGP speed settings, if its set to "Turbo" or "Fast" change it to normal, again this can help.

Upgrading on a Teir manufacture is always an issue. They maybe great stable machines from the factory, they are not so great when changed.

You may have to buy HP certified memory, I may not be the biggest kingston fan, but they sell certified memory for almost every teir's system.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 7, 2009, 06:15 AM
MVP

Thanks guys. I'll give these a shot. Unfortunatelly I'm away on a business trip so I'll have to look at her computer when I get back.

The second I saw it had onboard I groaned because I got her hooked on computer games (she's obsessed with L4D) and I'm trying to get her computer to even attempt to play it.

It looks like however I may have to donate the innards of my computer to her and just get an i7 for myself.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Good luck on this one, my wifes computer has given me no end of grief when I try to change anything on it (Dell).
Besides, look at it this way, you said you wanted an i7, what better excuse than this?
LOL :)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 7, 2009, 07:42 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
It looks like however I may have to donate the innards of my computer to her and just get an i7 for myself.
I like your style lol
Fold for team #54196
Old January 8, 2009, 01:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Everest would also be reading those values from the Mobo which wasn't changed...the only way to really tell if your volts changed due to PS would be a multimeter before and after changing, and you would need to monitor during load and idle

- this is exacly what I was thinking, everest is reading the voltage off the MB and that was not changed-hence the same voltage reading with two different PSU's.