Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default Old laptop givin' me lots of problems

ok, I don't know what it is, but my old Dell E1505 has really started acting up on me

I mean, first of all, I have to say, this isn't the highest quality laptop that Dell has ever built. I mean, it uses refurbished parts, and I don't remember giving dell any consent to do that, oh well, must've been in the fine print

anyways, couple questions

1. Sometimes, when I unplug the power cable and keep it unplugged for like 30sec, the battery will die...after 30sec.... other times, it'll work for like 2 hours

2. My laptop has really been overheating for some reason lately, as I type this, it just kicked into third gear - TAT reports 80 degrees on both cores, and I know that that's not a good temp when I'm just on the internet

the windows ctrl+alt+delete thing reports a 50-60% CPU usage and all I'm running is a web browser with 3 tabs and TAT, can somebody please help me out, this can't be normal
Old January 5, 2009, 06:31 PM
Allstar

Go into the windows ctrl+alt+delete thing (Task manager) and click on processes, then click on "CPU" 2 times and it'll sort the processes by the amount of CPU cycles they are using with the heaviest usage at the top...
Once you know what process is pegging one of your cores a simple google search should be all you need to find a cure.
Old January 5, 2009, 06:45 PM
Top Prospect

There is something called system idle process, task manager says that it's using like 80% - is that normal?
Old January 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
There is something called system idle process, task manager says that it's using like 80% - is that normal?
Yes, sort of. If all was as it should be, system idle process should be around 90%.
That just indicates how much of the system resources are idle ( not being used ).
Old January 5, 2009, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

what about csrss.exe? it's using like 15-20% at times

EDIT: as well, what about spoolsv.exe?

I don't know, this may be a hardware error, I have about 60% of my system at idle even when running like 4 programs and yet the temp is like 71 degrees

Last edited by squilliam; January 5, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
what about csrss.exe? it's using like 15-20% at times

EDIT: as well, what about spoolsv.exe?

I don't know, this may be a hardware error, I have about 60% of my system at idle even when running like 4 programs and yet the temp is like 71 degrees
The Microsoft Client Server Runtime Server subsystem utilizes the process csrss.exe for managing the majority of the graphical instruction sets under the Microsoft Windows operating system. As such Csrss.exe provides the critical functions of the operating system, and its termination can result in the Blue Screen of Death being displayed.

Csrss.exe controls threading and Win32 console window features. Threading is where the application splits itself into multiple simultaneous running tasks. Threads supported by csrss.exe are different from processes in that threads are commonly contained within the process, with various threads sharing resources within the same process. The Win32 console is the plain text window in the Windows API system (programs can use the console without the need for image display).

In mobile devices such as notebooks and laptops, the process csrss.exe is closely dependent on power management schemes implemented by the system as defined under the Control Panel option.
End quoteI would say you are having problems with your power module. Most of the time they are part of the system board, other times, they are separate units. That would explain why you have inconsistent run times on battery. I will see if I can find the service manual for your unit and take a look.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:19 PM
Top Prospect

oh my god, it's all coming together, of course! The refurbished parts the crappy battery, and that explains dell had preloaded a bookmark onto my computer about battery recalls

apparently the maker of these crappy battery's was sony, damn you sony if this was your doing, lol

link: Dell Battery Return Program

and what do you know, my model is one of the models eligible for recall, I think I'll give dell a call
Old January 5, 2009, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

I do not know if a recalled battery will cause the excessive csrss.exe process usage. I suppose it could, if the battery is really bad. It would be a good place to start. If you get the new battery, and you are still experiencing problems, then I would say your AC plug mounted onto the system board is loose. Here is a link to the service manual for your lappy.
Documentation
Old January 5, 2009, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect

yeah, you're right, even after removing the battery, the laptop still runs hot for some reason (second gear for fan)

furthermore, the battery does not require recall

thanks for the link, I'll look into it

EDIT: a loose AC plug can cause overheating?

anyways, I've found a temporary solution for now - underclocking my CPU, but even at 1ghz the temp is still like 47 degrees

I dunno, could it have something to do with other internal components?

Last edited by squilliam; January 5, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
yeah, you're right, even after removing the battery, the laptop still runs hot for some reason (second gear for fan)

furthermore, the battery does not require recall

thanks for the link, I'll look into it

EDIT: a loose AC plug can cause overheating?

anyways, I've found a temporary solution for now - underclocking my CPU

I dunno, could it have something to do with the video card or maybe hardrive?
I don't think it would be the vid or hdd. Have you had problems with either? The fact that the csrss.exe is constantly using resources leads me to believe it is power related. If your AC plud is loose, which is a common problem on laptops, then you will not get even power supply to the system. The process is probably working overtime trying to ensure a clean consistent power supply. It is a reletively easy repair, if you are good at de-soldering/soldering, and can dissassemble a laptop. The plugs are cheap, usually in the range of 20-30 dollars. You should check it out, as it will not get better with time.