Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2008, 09:04 AM
MVP

Default Weirdness in Clean Install on Dell Laptop

OK - I'm not sure if this is a Vista issue or a hardware issue, but here goes:
1) My son picks up a virus on his Dell 1720 laptop - core 2, 2 gigabytes of ram, 8600 gt, Vista Premium 32bit.
2) He has lost his "recovery disks"
3) I contact Dell for new disks, they will be here in a couple of weeks (we live a looong way North in Canada)
4) In the meantime, I do a clean install of Vista Premium 32 bit from an OEM disk I had purchased when I did a different project.
5) The install works, we download all the drivers from Dell.ca, all his apps work, even wireless.

6) The Weirdness: If we shut it down with "shutdown", all is good, but if we do a "restart" it does a BSOD, followed by a restart, followed by a BSOD, in a continuous loop, every time.

What's up with that? All answers appreciated, and thanks for your time.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What does the BSOD say?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 24, 2008, 09:23 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Probably one of the drivers not playing right with the hardware.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:58 AM
MVP

Hi and thanks for the responses. The BSOD speeds by in the blink of an eye and straight to the death spiral of reboot BSOD reboot. When I get home from work I will try to post the dmp file if I can find it.
Old December 24, 2008, 03:58 PM
MVP

Hmmm - can't seem to find the dmp files. Haven't looked for any in a long time. Anybody have another idea?
Old December 25, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure about what's causing the BSOD, but you may allow it to stay on-screen for longer by setting "Disable automatic restart on system failure" on boot.

Just in case, here's how:
1. As the computer is booting, press F8 (I just mash the button rapidly).
2. After the BIOS is done doing its thing and right before you normally see Vista's loading bar, you should get the "Advanced Boot Options" screen.
3. Select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" from the menu that comes up
4. Trigger your BSOD, and it should stay long enough for you to snap a picture or something.
- Also, try to trigger the BSOD in safe mode; if it doesn't occur in safe mode then you're probably facing a driver / pesky software issue.

Out of curiosity, does the laptop have one of those Dell recovery partitions?
Old December 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
MVP

Yes it does have the Dell recovery partition. I will try your idea frontier204 - probably in the next day or so. BTW I could not run or install from the Dell Recovery partition. Perhaps there is a little trick to that that I should be trying to find out more about. I thought it was just because I don't have the recovery CDs.
zilla
Old December 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadzilla View Post
Yes it does have the Dell recovery partition. I will try your idea frontier204 - probably in the next day or so. BTW I could not run or install from the Dell Recovery partition. Perhaps there is a little trick to that that I should be trying to find out more about. I thought it was just because I don't have the recovery CDs.
zilla
What version of Vista was it? A couple jobs ago(collage co op placement), I worked for the IT dept of the local school school board(Halton Catholic District). We used pretty much all Dell exclusively, so I'ved PM'ed you a possible solution.

As for the built in recovery partition, they never seem to work.