Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2008, 03:48 AM
Rookie

Default Electrical Buzzing Noise From PSU

Hey guys hopefully you will be able to help me out with my situation. I have noticed an electrical buzzing noise coming from my PSU by only plugging in the power cord from the outlet and switching the power button on the PSU. I have tried numerous PSU and different outlet within the house (6 years old) with the same result an annoying but soft buzzing noise which Im pretty sure is coming from the transformer. An electrician has also checked the circuitry and all is in working order. Is this buzzing noise coming from my PSU normal? I would appreciate any recommendations or personal experience that may resolve this problem. Thanks
Old December 13, 2008, 03:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmmmm Buzzing could be a good sign of Impending issues, I've never personally owned a PS that did that. However, Electrical Noise in a PS might mean its being bottlenecked from a failing component Internally...
Just my two thoughts, could be way off...

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your comments, but it was a brand new PSU and I only have the power cord plugged in and nothing else (same with my other PSU's). It has something to do with the quality of the AC line voltage or the house earth my be damaged. Probably a UPS or power conditioner my resolve this issue?
Old December 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

When you say 'buzzing', is it a fairly loud buzzing, or more of a high-pitched squeal/whine?
Old December 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
Rookie

A soft electrical buzzing noise which I would need to put my ear on the PSU to hear it.
Old December 13, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It could be the fan motor, what brand or make is the psu? Insert something to temporarily stop the fan and see if the noise stops.

My Antec TPQ 850 fan's motor makes a buzzing noise and occassionaly I can hear it over my noctua's, its annoying and I'd like to replace the fan with a much better unit but it'll void my warranty.

EE
Old December 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Silverstone DA850, Corsair tx-650, Coolermaster 550, Thermaltake 430 and a couple of generic ones all the same issue. The PSU is not running nor is the fan only the power cord is pugged in and nothing else.
Old December 13, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have you tried plugging it in another electrical outlet? That is odd because I've never heard that before. All of my PSUs are quiet, even way back then the few generic ones, all quiet. As long as your AC power is within the PSU's specs (usually 90VAC~135VAC) and you have a proper ground, I wouldn't worry - if you have a way to test your PSU using a VMM to rule out a bad PSU, test it at both idle and under load, the 5V & 12V outputs. That faint "buzzing" noise is probably the same noise you would hear if you got close to your water boiler box while the elements are off or even some oven or that coming from a dimmer switch - usually the sound would come from resistors. You mentionned you had an electrician check your power, so I assume he checked for proper wiring and grounding - Does your PSU work normally otherwise when in operation ? Does it become very hot or make other noises ? are the voltages within spec ? Also, don't waste your time with a UPS or power conditionner, that will not solve that faint buzzing sound.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Yes I have pretty much tried all of the power outlets within the house. Power outlet is spot on 240v and also PSU volts with specs (with multimeter). Yes the PSU works as normal and stays pretty cool without emitting any other noticeable noises. This message was from a corsair tech.

It should not effect the functionality of the PSU, and this is something that we have seen with higher efficiency PSUs (not just our own). Higher efficiency PSUs generally require "cleaner" power and sometimes this buzzing can occur in some homes. We have seen that some users with this problem have had good luck using backup UPS' with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) to reduce or eliminate the buzz. The good news is that other than the noise itself the buzzing would not indicate any serious problems.

But the previous corsair tech I spoke said it was not normal.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its normal, I'll do digging around later on jonnyguru threads and find you some proof, but take me at my word that its completely normal, some people can hear it, most can't. Its caused by the transformer that create's the 12V DC power in case your wondering, the higher the quality, the more noticeable the noise will be IF you can notice it.

Its outside the hearing range of MOST humans, which is why you do not see very many posts on it. Just be glad, you have some very good hearing. That being said if you can hear it without putting your ear to it(very loud buzzing), THEN I'd worry, and RMA it.

Don't worry it, it doesn't sound like an issue with the PSU.

Edit - Added links

PSU emmits buzzing sound - jonnyGURU Forums
jonnyGURU Forums - View Single Post - PSU Emits High Pitched Buzz
Inverter Buzzing - jonnyGURU Forums

Can't find the post by the SilverStone Engineer explaining it in detail at the moment, I'll look for it in the morning.

Edit 2 - FOUND IT! I'm tired, but I just couldn't leave this till the morning.

jonnyGURU Forums - View Single Post - Silverstone Decathlon 850W (DA850W) squealing like a stuck pig under 3d video load.

Quote:
Unfortunately for us, this high performance also results in transfomer to produce frequency that a few too many people consider noisy. Believe it or not, we can have three people in the room listening to the same power supply with one person claiming that he cannot hear anything while the other two can identify the noise as either acceptable or annoying. We ended up testing many high wattage power supplies from our other series/other companies and found that practically all of them will make noises but with different frequencies. Our Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W on average has higher frequency while the Strider lines has the lowest (therefore inaudible to human ears). We found that transient response performance was almost proportional to frequency of sound that a power supply makes.
And

Quote:
Contrary to what some have speculated, this phenomenon wasn't caused by quality control issues because we can show the same power supply to two people at the same time and elicit different responses. Rather it was our intention to deliver top dynamic loading performance that produced noises some of our customers consider unacceptable. If you are a current user of our Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W power supply and you do not hear the noise mentioned by other, it is likely that your ears simply cannot pick up on the frequency emitted or your PC has other noises that are louder (some 680i motherboards and 8800GTX cards have high pitch noises as well).
Emphasis is mine.

Last edited by Chilly; December 13, 2008 at 08:12 PM.