Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Intel Stock heatsink got stuck on the mainboard (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/12812-intel-stock-heatsink-got-stuck-mainboard.html)

appplejack December 12, 2008 01:27 PM

Intel Stock heatsink got stuck on the mainboard

I'm about to take out the intel stock heatsink but one of the bolts of the heat sink got stuck on the mainboard?
What can I do to solve this?

SugarJ December 12, 2008 01:31 PM

You've twisted it all the way in the direction of the arrow to release the lock? Give it a good tug, like you're picking up something that weighs 5 pounds. If it still won't come out, take out your mobo and push the pin from the bottom side while pulling on it from the top side.

appplejack December 12, 2008 01:55 PM

Thanks I managed to take it out but touch the back of the board and it made some fingerprint and shiny marks on it. My palm got sweaty while taking it out. Is there anything I should do to clean it?

One thing I noticed while installing the CPU: it made gnawing sound when I closed the latch. I want to know if it's normal.

JD December 12, 2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appplejack (Post 125802)
Thanks I managed to take it out but touch the back of the board and it made some fingerprint and shiny marks on it. My palm got sweaty while taking it out. Is there anything I should do to clean it?

One thing I noticed while installing the CPU: it made gnawing sound when I closed the latch. I want to know if it's normal.

You could clean it with 99% isopropyl alcohol (it's rubbing alcohol but try and get 99%), though I don't think it's going to effect anything.

And the noise when you put the CPU in, should be fine as it is metal on metal touching and it needs to make a tight lock. Not sure if they way you described it is the greatest but it seems okay.

MpG December 12, 2008 06:21 PM

The grinding noise is likely the CPU shifting slightly as the plate holds it down. As long as the CPU was dropped in properly and not stuck on something, and you didn't hear a *crack*, not an issue.

Andy December 12, 2008 06:22 PM

As long as the cpu was seated properly it should be fine. My old cpu and board used to make crunching sounds whenever I closed the latch.

tzetsin December 12, 2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 125946)
You could clean it with 99% isopropyl alcohol (it's rubbing alcohol but try and get 99%), though I don't think it's going to effect anything.

HA! just try getting 99% isopropyl alcohol nowdays... the clerk will look at you like your a monster. I swear that people nowdays think the only reason to have 99% isopropyl alcohol is for a meth lab. There is absolutely NO store in my entire city that will sell it. 70 %, but no 99%.

TopDogZero December 12, 2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

HA! just try getting 99% isopropyl alcohol nowdays... the clerk will look at you like your a monster. I swear that people nowdays think the only reason to have 99% isopropyl alcohol is for a meth lab. There is absolutely NO store in my entire city that will sell it. 70 %, but no 99%.
Meth Lab eh, so that's why I can't find 99% should have realized it was something like that.

kzEr December 12, 2008 08:07 PM

I used to work for a paint store so I get it from there...its worth a shot (the 99% that is)

JD December 12, 2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzetsin (Post 125975)

lol really? The bottle I have is uber old.

I thought they just kept it behind the counter though but maybe not.