Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
Rookie

Default Seeking advice on multiple soundcard build / Will it work?

Hi.
I posted the same thread in the audio forums, but unfortunately, no one was able to assist me. I figured that the audio forum is more about HIFI, audio specs, impedence reviews and ETC. So i decided to post my thread here instead. By asking here, i will avoid upcoming troubleshooting or simply i wont have to get a refund if the setup is just impossible.

============

Here it goes:

Hi there.
I would like to have my 5.1 speakers and ventrilo on different sound channels (on headset). I dont want to invest a lot of money since i just want to hear people talking on vent (i dont mind if sound quality isnt great, as long as its understandable).
On my old computer, i used to run the onboard soundcard + xfi extreme audio soundcard at the same time and it worked with my simple wired (2 audio jacks) logitech headset.

Now, i cannot run Both my onboard card and the soundblaster xfi on this computer (as they are not compatible).

If i get a USB Bluetooth dongle and i pair it with my Cellphone bluetooth headset, will the computer make a virtual software soundcard for the USB dongle, so that i can effectively:

Have vent on Bluetooth headset
Have music or game sounds in speakers
Have input (MIC on bluetooth headset)???

Also, will any cheapo bluetooth adapter work fine?? Or do i need to pay up to 50$ for a Linksys one.

EDIT: I play games with my brother, and hes got his own comp 3meters away. If we do get the same setup, can we pair the USB dongles separately (like with cellphones) or will there be interference?

EDIT 2: Thinking about ordering 2 of these:
Tiny USB 2.0 Bluetooth V2.0 EDR Dongle Wireless Adapter - eBay (item 260315526745 end time Dec-13-08 10:28:12 PST)
I have to give the direct link cuz this item doesnt have specs, its a no name china made adapter. lol.

Or the 2nd Alternative:
buy a cheapo USB soundcard dongle and put ventrilo output on that channel (using my old wired open air logitech headset).
Like this perhaps:
USB 2.0 to Mic/Speaker 5.1 Audio Sound Card Adapter,K02 - eBay (item 280267978957 end time Dec-15-08 15:49:51 PST)
Old December 12, 2008, 12:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

if both vent and game are coming in through the same headset.... whats splitting the audio in going to do? just go into the vent settings and turn down the "inbound" sound until you have the people on vent at the volume you want them.

Old December 12, 2008, 12:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

if you want to use speakers for 5.1 and don't want voices coming through them and just an earpiece for vent? i use a logitec headset (that came with socom for ps2) for the mic at all times, when i dont want to use my HD555, i can set vent to use only the socom headset for outbound sound and have only game sound come out of my speakers. but most of the time i just use the mic along with my HD555's and have the output in vent set to use the X-fi.

Old December 12, 2008, 01:46 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
if you want to use speakers for 5.1 and don't want voices coming through them and just an earpiece for vent? i use a logitec headset (that came with socom for ps2) for the mic at all times, when i dont want to use my HD555, i can set vent to use only the socom headset for outbound sound and have only game sound come out of my speakers. but most of the time i just use the mic along with my HD555's and have the output in vent set to use the X-fi.

I second the use of this PS2 socom headset. I got one from a buddy, greatest little thing ever. It is essentially a USB soundcard, plug it in, set vent to use it, done. Then you can still use whatever you want for your 5.1 audio.

The mic quality on it is excellent, and since its Usb it wont cause any silly conflicts with anything. No drivers, just plug and play.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870