Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2008, 07:55 PM
Top Prospect

Default Overclocking and Cpu-Z

Morning :)

SOOooOO! I finnaly managed to bypass that integrated "energy saver" in the p45 chipset

I managed to change my cpu's FSB from 200 to 240, so 3.0ghz instead of 2.5.
Its showing fine when I boot the computer, and its stable enought.

Theres a weird thing tho..
When i use cpu-z I see this :

The voltage always flickers (if thats the right word) it changes every 2-3 seconds... so does the computer core speed!

Its kinda scaring me right now..:help:
So if anyone can tell me if that is supposed to be happening /if not, what to do, it would be nice!

thanks
Old December 8, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

*sigh*

It's the power-saving option on the chip. When not under load, it drops the multiplier/voltage to save power. Not sure what motherboard you have, but it should be called something like "EIST" or "Speedstep". Disable it if you don't want the switching. Doesn't usually matter much, unless you want exact control over the CPU multiplier.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

He's not sighing because it's a dumb question- it's a good question - just a common one- turn off C1E and speedstep in the bios to stop this if you don't want it.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I probably should have omitted that, and if it came across poorly, I do apologize. But it's an extremely common question, and I have no idea why the CPU-Z designers (among others) have yet incorporate a visible flag that notifies the user that a power-savings option is activated.
Old December 8, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Yeah, I probably should have omitted that, and if it came across poorly, I do apologize. But it's an extremely common question, and I have no idea why the CPU-Z designers (among others) have yet incorporate a visible flag that notifies the user that a power-savings option is activated.
That would be a good idea.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Almost everyone has asked this question when they attempt their first overclock. I even asked it. I think we should make a sticky of FAQ questions when it comes to overclocking. I think this might help cut down on these questions getting repeated over and over again.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old December 9, 2008, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
Almost everyone has asked this question when they attempt their first overclock. I even asked it. I think we should make a sticky of FAQ questions when it comes to overclocking. I think this might help cut down on these questions getting repeated over and over again.
It doesn't help when you don't see it. Most noobs don't know to look for stickies either.
Old December 9, 2008, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol the pain of a new Overclocker.

you need to look for stickies, but you dont know what a sticky is.....

you want to ask a question, but you dont know how...

Altough I want to congratulate the user, his question was really clear. Be aware that most of the forum about overcloking wont even answer you or will insult you when you ask this question ! So that you have a clear answer and an excuse show you how this place is a nice place to be !

Dont forget to fold fo the HWC team !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 9, 2008, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
It doesn't help when you don't see it. Most noobs don't know to look for stickies either.
Maybe we could title it. IF YOU ARE NEW TO OVERCLOCKING READ THIS FIRST

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old December 9, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually,

You should title it "Hot sex here!!!"

Then no one will miss it :D
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.