Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
MVP
F@H

Default text won't display right

I just did a reformat on my mother's comp. XP is the operating system. She is using a 19" widescreen and the native 1440x900 resolution makes the text too small.

When we adjust the resolution to a lower one the text ends up looking like someone wrote it with a pen that is running out of ink (best way to describe it). It's barely legible.

I seem to remember a setting somewhere that smoothed fonts or true type or something like that. Can't find either. How do I get this text readable?
Old December 7, 2008, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

Try this.

Right click the desktop. Select Properties. In the window that opens, select the Appearance tab, then click the Effects button.
Check the check-box in front of - use the following to smooth edges of screen fonts. In the drop down menu, select Clear Type.
Old December 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should also be keeping the native resolution for the monitor, but using the "advanced" properties to increase text size. LCD monitors typically don't display very well outside of their native res.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 7, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Try this: Open "Display Properties"...click "appearance" tab. Left-bottom menu.."Font Size"....Change it to Large Fonts, apply. If that isn't enough.. try Extra-Large Fonts...apply. GL
Old December 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Try this: Open "Display Properties"...click "appearance" tab. Left-bottom menu.."Font Size"....Change it to Large Fonts, apply. If that isn't enough.. try Extra-Large Fonts...apply. GL
Yup thats what I do, my eyes arnt what they used to be , cataracts, I use Large, extra is just to large. I also use "GoodTimes" font thats a bit larger than most of MS's offerings, be warned that that large fonts sometime leads to text being cutoff from some menu's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 7, 2008, 07:19 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks guys, I'll go try that after I finish waking up and get a Java or two in me.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Geez you guys..

Its called screen DPI.

I have no idea where to find it in Vista so you'll have to google it.

You will want to increase it from 96 to 110 or so.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:47 AM
MVP
F@H

It's strange but all the same internal parts provided great text at any resolution before the reformat.

My mother is a facebook junkie and of course she got infected with the zlob virus. I decided to reformat rather than fight it. The comp is an HP AMD and I had put XP on it because she hated Vista. Lots of fun tracking down drivers! I did this months ago and everything went fine. This time around the text thing happened.

I found a resonable comprimise between the resolution, text size option, DPI and enabled the clear type option (that's the one I couldn't find). I hated going away from the native resolution but it's her comp and eyes so WTH. It's at 1300something x 720, 126 DPI, large fonts with clear type. Any other non-native res gives bad text. She's happy so life's good.

Thanks again guys.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Geez you guys..

Its called screen DPI.

I have no idea where to find it in Vista so you'll have to google it.

You will want to increase it from 96 to 110 or so.
Fonts and DPI are 2 different things here , increasing font doses just that increases the "type" DPI affects everything from Fonts to icon's.
I used to just turn up the DPI to 120 but now I just adjust the fonts, looks cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 8, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
It's strange but all the same internal parts provided great text at any resolution before the reformat.

My mother is a facebook junkie and of course she got infected with the zlob virus. I decided to reformat rather than fight it. The comp is an HP AMD and I had put XP on it because she hated Vista. Lots of fun tracking down drivers! I did this months ago and everything went fine. This time around the text thing happened.

I found a resonable comprimise between the resolution, text size option, DPI and enabled the clear type option (that's the one I couldn't find). I hated going away from the native resolution but it's her comp and eyes so WTH. It's at 1300something x 720, 126 DPI, large fonts with clear type. Any other non-native res gives bad text. She's happy so life's good.

Thanks again guys.
I suggest to get your mom a 17 or 19 inch monitor if she has that much trouble seeing a computer screen.

Also you can increase the font size separately in a browser.