Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Asus P5Q Vista 64 won't install (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/12232-asus-p5q-vista-64-wont-install.html)

Derko November 26, 2008 04:19 PM

Asus P5Q Vista 64 won't install

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my first complete build:

- Asus P5Q
- Intel e5200
- G. Skill 2x2gb ddr2-1000
- Evga Geforce 9800gt
- Seagate Barracuda 500gb and 640gb 7200.11
- Antec 300
- LG ide DL DVD-RW (new a month ago)
- Xigmatek S1283 hsf
- AC MX-2 thermal paste

So, I spent a couple of hours today putting it all together and got really excited. So I ran upstairs hooked everything up booted it up and popped in the Vista Ultimate 64 dvd and it ran really really slow. So I thought oh well, it seems to still be doing stuff with the install so just let it go. Well no matter what I do I get an 0x8007045D error code after it spends about 15-20 mins at 0% expanding files.

The hard drives are not set up in raid and I have no plan of using them in raid so that's not the issue. I've also tried installing with 1 stick of ram and that didn't make a difference, nor did changing the hard drives from ide mode to ahci mode either. I've also updated the bios to the newest version too (1501).

This is really frustrating. I highly doubt that my Vista disc is bad seeing as I used both this exact disk and drive in my old computer to install it and it worked beautifully and the install went fast and my old system was a Athlon 64 3000+ with 3gb of DDR-400 ram!

So, I was kind of hoping that someone could shed some light on what my problem is and help me get vista to install.

3.0charlie November 26, 2008 05:12 PM

I've heard about issues regarding the use of IDE drives and Vista. Also, try installing it with a single HDD connected.

enaberif November 26, 2008 05:15 PM

only install with 2gb of ram

Derko November 26, 2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 118016)
I've heard about issues regarding the use of IDE drives and Vista. Also, try installing it with a single HDD connected.

I was able to install it on the Athlon 64 3000+ with this exact DVD-RW drive. So, I'm not sure if that's the issue. I also have tried installing it with only the 500gb drive connected and still no dice.

Derko November 26, 2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 118018)
only install with 2gb of ram

As my original post stated, I have already tried installing with only one of the 2gb sticks and it didn't change anything. It was still really slow and I still received the error.

enaberif November 26, 2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derko (Post 118032)
As my original post stated, I have already tried installing with only one of the 2gb sticks and it didn't change anything. It was still really slow and I still received the error.

Sorry missed that spot.

Did you properly setup your timings, voltages, and speed in the bios FOR your memory?

3.0charlie November 26, 2008 05:34 PM

Yup, raise the Vcore and Vram slightly for stability. Even though you're using the same Vista DVD, it's not the same hardware.

Derko November 26, 2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 118033)
Sorry missed that spot.

Did you properly setup your timings, voltages, and speed in the bios FOR your memory?

I tried to the ram is supposed to be 5-5-5-15 at 1000mhz. I set up those timings but couldn't find anywhere to specify the 1000mhz speed. I also set the voltage at 2.1v for the ram. I can't remember if I tried to install it with those timings and voltages because I couldn't find where to specify the 1000mhz. I'll have to try that when I get home later tonight.

Derko November 26, 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 118036)
Yup, raise the Vcore and Vram slightly for stability. Even though you're using the same Vista DVD, it's not the same hardware.

So, I should take the Vcore off of the auto setting and then what should I set it at? Also, the g.skill ram is rated from 2.0-2.1v so what voltage should I set it at after setting up the proper timings and speed?

Also, does anyone know why the install is going so slowly?

I also forgot to mention that the Vista Ultimate 64 dvd includes SP1.

enaberif November 26, 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derko (Post 118042)
I tried to the ram is supposed to be 5-5-5-15 at 1000mhz. I set up those timings but couldn't find anywhere to specify the 1000mhz speed. I also set the voltage at 2.1v for the ram. I can't remember if I tried to install it with those timings and voltages because I couldn't find where to specify the 1000mhz. I'll have to try that when I get home later tonight.

You won't be able to set the 1000mhz for the speed. You'll have to find the "FSB Strap" option and set it to 333 or 400 ; whichever will allow you the 1:1 you need.

You could also just have bad ram so I suggest making a copy of memtest from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool