Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post
No dice with the new IDE cable. Looks like I'm off to the store to get a new DVD burner.

Any other ideas I can try first?

Also, any idea why it takes forever to get between screens during the vista install? It was nice and snappy on my Athalon 64 3000+ but my new rig is over twice as powerful but it takes forever. I know the important thing is to get Vista installed but I mean the slowness is an annoyance.
If its having trouble reading the DVD that would easily explain it. You could always try my Install XP, copy Vista onto HDD, Install Vista from HDD suggestion
Old November 27, 2008, 09:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
If its having trouble reading the DVD that would easily explain it. You could always try my Install XP, copy Vista onto HDD, Install Vista from HDD suggestion
Can I do that Vista install trick from inside XP if XP is 32 bit and Vista is 64 bit?

It looks like that new sata DVD drive was a waste of $35 and about an hours worth of time. It's acting the exact same.

Edit: I just got to 4% files expanded and it's still going, no errors yet, still really slow though.

Edit 2: It made it to the first reboot so far, I'm now staring at the message "Please wait while windows continues to set up your computer".

Last edited by Derko; November 27, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post
Can I do that Vista install trick from inside XP if XP is 32 bit and Vista is 64 bit?

It looks like that new sata DVD drive was a waste of $35 and about an hours worth of time. It's acting the exact same.

Edit: I just got to 4% files expanded and it's still going, no errors yet, still really slow though.
Sluggish/slow how? If you mean it takes forever to go from one window the the next after you press next I got the same issue on a P5Q vanilla system I set up about a month ago, it was slow/sluggish but it installed just fine. Once installed, Vista's performance was normal.

Chances are theres something on the motherboard that the DVD doesn't have drivers for so it loads a generic driver which causes the slowdown/sluggishness during install, that'd be my guess anyways

Glad to hear replacing the DVD Drive fixed your install crashing issue thou.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:50 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

How is your FSB setup in the BIOS? Stock speed?
Old November 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

googled.. :P /http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1305646&SiteID=17
put a / in front ^ to kill live link as i'm not sure of the rules about linking other sites.

the last guy in that thread said he got his to work... but i dont understand what he did, maybe you will. :)

Old November 27, 2008, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
How is your FSB setup in the BIOS? Stock speed?
I had the processor running stock, with a 200mhz FSB and 12.5 multiplier.

I just wanted to let everyone know that purchasing and then swapping out the DVD-RW for an SATA one did the trick. Vista is now installed. Unfortunately, I had to run to work before I could do anything with it or load any of the drivers. So, that'll have to wait until later tonight/tomorrow. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for the help with getting it to install. I really appreciate it.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

We're here for that. Enjoy your new built.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

good to hear you got it going. :)

Old November 27, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Glad to hear it, see John my hunch was right .
Old November 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks again guys, it's running like a champ. Now my only annoyance is that the processor/mobo or something is automatically changing the multiplier from 12.5 down to 6. Is there anyway to make that stay at 12.5? And should I even have the Asus EPU installed?