Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2008, 05:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Your PSU may be the culprit. Do you have another one to test?
Not unless I pull it out of another system and even then it's only 300w so I don't think it's even worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:36 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It would complete the loop of trouble-shooting the components. 300W is plentiful to test an installation, as long as it has a 24-pin main connector, an EPS 12V 4-pin connector and a 6-pin PCI-E connector for the 9800GT as a minimum.

Unless you have another GPU.

I know it's a pain somewhere, but that PSU could be the problem. I would try that even before buying a new SATA DVD burner.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
It would complete the loop of trouble-shooting the components. 300W is plentiful to test an installation, as long as it has a 24-pin main connector, and an EPS 12V 4-pin connector as a minimum.

I know it's a pain somewhere, but that PSU could be the problem. I would try that even before buying a new SATA DVD burner.
I've seen PSU's cause alot of issues, but I've never it cause IO errors, its just me but I'd try switching DVD drives before PSU's. I just have a hunch that its not the PSU in this case.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I've seen PSU's cause alot of issues, but I've never it cause IO errors, its just me but I'd try switching DVD drives before PSU's. I just have a hunch that its not the PSU in this case.
I agree with you on this one, but since he may have access to a second PSU why not try it before spending on a new DVD burner.

I remember helping another member a few month's back with a similar problem; the outcome was a dead IDE DVD burner. Then a week later his PSU died...
Old November 27, 2008, 05:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
It would complete the loop of trouble-shooting the components. 300W is plentiful to test an installation, as long as it has a 24-pin main connector, and an EPS 12V 4-pin connector as a minimum.

Nuts, I don't think it has a 24 pin main connector. It's a 300w Enermax Whisper that's out of my Athlon 64 3000+ system that was built back in '04.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, forget about it then. I'd say bite the bullet and get a SATA DVD burner. Cheapest one you can find.
Old November 27, 2008, 05:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I agree with you on this one, but since he may have access to a second PSU why not try it before spending on a new DVD burner.

I remember helping another member a few month's back with a similar problem; the outcome was a dead IDE DVD burner. Then a week later his PSU died...
Could it be a dead/faulty IDE cable?
Old November 27, 2008, 05:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post
Could it be a dead/faulty IDE cable?
Nothing wrong in trying another one. Make sure you connect the ends; don't use the mid connector (for a slave component)
Old November 27, 2008, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:

I'll give you that, but if he can't find a secondary drive laying around and doesn't want to spend on a new DVD drive, there is another way he can install Vista;

To the OP, if you have a spare copy of XP laying around, try installing XP first. Then plop the Vista DVD in, copy the Vista DVD to a new folder, call it "SETUP", take the DVD out and run "setup.exe". If its a DVD Drive that vista simply dislikes, well you'd be installing it from the HDD so you bypass the optical drive entirely.

Only downside is its a time consuming process. Personally I'd just bite the bullet and get a new SATA drive, cheapest I can find.

Edit - In response to above post, I agree with John, its worth trying a different IDE cable, yes.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:35 AM
Rookie

No dice with the new IDE cable. Looks like I'm off to the store to get a new DVD burner.

Any other ideas I can try first?

Also, any idea why it takes forever to get between screens during the vista install? It was nice and snappy on my Athalon 64 3000+ but my new rig is over twice as powerful but it takes forever. I know the important thing is to get Vista installed but I mean the slowness is an annoyance.