Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You won't be able to set the 1000mhz for the speed. You'll have to find the "FSB Strap" option and set it to 333 or 400 ; whichever will allow you the 1:1 you need.

You could also just have bad ram so I suggest making a copy of memtest from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Ok, I'll take a look for the FSB Strap option.

Also, I ran memtest for 30 mins or so and it didn't find any errors. When I get home later tonight, I'll try running it and letting it go overnight.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post
Ok, I'll take a look for the FSB Strap option.

Also, I ran memtest for 30 mins or so and it didn't find any errors. When I get home later tonight, I'll try running it and letting it go overnight.
Memtest needs to hit the test 5 or 6 before it finds any real errors
Old November 26, 2008, 07:17 PM
MVP

Hmm, definitely make sure you run at least one full Memtest pass.

For my P5Q-D, I've used IDE & AHCI modes to install Vista x64 with my full 8 GB installed, on SATA & IDE DVDRWs too.

(Just saying, it does work.)

Not sure what's going on for you, but memory is the first thing i'd be absolutely certain is stable.

Also, make sure you're using the Intel ports, not the Marvell ones, at least for the HDD.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old November 26, 2008, 09:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Also, make sure you're using the Intel ports, not the Marvell ones, at least for the HDD.
The intel ports are the red ones right? Not the drive xpert orange and white ones?

Edit: I have my sticks of ram in the two yellow slots. I believe they are A1 and B1, should they be in those slots in order to run in dual channel mode?

Last edited by Derko; November 26, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:02 AM
Rookie

I ran Memtest86+ v2.10 overnight and it ran for 8 hours and did 10 passes without any errors. So, I guess that rules out the memory being bad.

Any other ideas?
Old November 27, 2008, 06:13 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting.

Did you try bumping the Vcore and Vram? Some boards undervolt, creating instability.
Did you try to install Vista with a ram stick in each slot? Could be a blown memory controller.
To answer your question about the location of the sticks for Dual channel, look into your manual - it will show which slot needs to be occupied for DC.
Did you try to install with a single HDD connected?
Don't connect any USB devices - keyboard, mouse, printers, etc.

If the ram is fine, that the HDD is recongnized then it only leaves 2 options: either a bad board, or a problematic PSU.

BTW, what is your PSU?
Old November 27, 2008, 06:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Interesting.

Did you try bumping the Vcore and Vram? Some boards undervolt, creating instability.
Did you try to install Vista with a ram stick in each slot? Could be a blown memory controller.
To answer your question about the location of the sticks for Dual channel, look into your manual - it will show which slot needs to be occupied for DC.
Did you try to install with a single HDD connected?
Don't connect any USB devices - keyboard, mouse, printers, etc.

If the ram is fine, that the HDD is recongnized then it only leaves 2 options: either a bad board, or a problematic PSU.

BTW, what is your PSU?

I tried bumping the Vcore and Vram and manually setting the timings to 5-5-5-15 at 800mhz and it didn't make a difference.

I'll try installing it with a stick of ram in each one of the slots.

Yes, I've tried installing with only a single hard drive connected and it didn't make a difference to speed or end result.

Does it matter if the usb devices are connected but not turned on?

Finally, my psu is about 1.5 months old and it's an OCZ StealthXtreme 500w.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The Vista DVD doesn't like some DVD drives, what your getting is an I/O error, try with another CD/DVD Drive if you haven't already. Also check that the Vista disc has no dirt or smudges or scratches on it.

Yes I know that you say this DVD drive worked just fine on anther computer, but humour me, it might just work.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:28 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Some board don't like USB components while installing Vista. That I know.

Your PSU may be the culprit. Do you have another one to test?

If you do try another DVD player, try to find one that is SATA.
Old November 27, 2008, 06:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
The Vista DVD doesn't like some DVD drives, what your getting is an I/O error, try with another CD/DVD Drive if you haven't already. Also check that the Vista disc has no dirt or smudges or scratches on it.

Yes I know that you say this DVD drive worked just fine on anther computer, but humour me, it might just work.
Ok, I'll see if I can dig up another DVD drive to check it out. If not I guess I'm off to the store to buy an SATA one.

I'll check the disc to make sure it's not scratched or dirty too. I'm also reburning my copy onto a brand new DVD to rule out a bad disc and I'm burning it at 1x speed.