Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Ticking time bomb?

Well, one of my hard drives has developed a nasty tick, which happens more at night, late at night when I am trying to sleep, but I am wondering if it is an early warning sign that the drive is dieing, and if it is what is the easiest way to pinpoint which drive it is, is unplugging it when it is running and clicking a bad idea it is isnt it, especially if it is the OS drive. That could have been worded a whole lot better.

My main problem is if it is my 750gig one (vs the 320) I have no real way to back it up, both of the drives are fairly full and have stuff I cant really afford to loose on them so I am considering getting an enclosure and a backup drive. So if anyone could recommend an enclosure and a harddrive that has bulletproof reliability that would be great.
Old November 25, 2008, 07:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've solved that problem a while back when I bought a DNS-323 from Dlink, along with 2 1Tb Seagate drives and using them in RAID 1.
Old November 25, 2008, 07:47 PM
Allstar

I'll add another vote for the Seagates but I'd go the extra $$ for the ES series drives.
Old November 25, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I'll add another vote for the Seagates but I'd go the extra $$ for the ES series drives.
ES drives are not meant for desktops. They are intended for server environments, raid setups, or nas setups.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can you capture the noise it makes and post it ? It depends - I know the seagates perform some offline drive diagnotics when idle and you will sometimes hear seeking noise "click-click..........click-click..........click-click......" not to confuse with a loud klonking sound like the head knocing against a steel wall :D THe last thing you want to hear is grinding sounds and loud klonking noise. I have tons of seagates drives spread across 2 PCs and 4 enclosures, all of them are quiet - on occasion I will hear seeking sounds, but those are the offline diag, and it lasts usually half a minute then stops after that and remain silent for a long time.

You can never know for sure when your drive will die - SMART is good for a small percentage of gradual failures, and not intended for most mechanical defects and sudden death of mechanical nature - so always buy your drives in pairs and make regular 1:1 backups! don't take ANY chances. Your drive can die anytime, even without making a single noise prior to dying....and if the noise is loud enough that you cannot sleep, that should be a good indicator you need to do something :D