Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2008, 03:05 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Pioneer DVD212 Problem

My DVD drive will read DVDs no problem but will not read any CDs. If I put a CD in it tries reading it for a second, gives up for about 5 seconds and tries again, repeat.

If I use windows explorer and right click on the drive with a CD in it to check it's properties it does one of three things. It either immediately shows the properties as a blank disc, tries to read it and comes up with nothing or a couple times it completely crashed windows explorer and had to restart it.

Any DVD will work, any CD does not. It worked last week but not for the last three days.

In device manager it says it is working properly and when I tried installing Pioneer specific drivers it said I already had the latest even though device manager identifies the DVD drivers as Windows drivers from 2006.

The drive is less than a year old, I will buy a new one if necissary but I want to make sure it's the drive and not a configuration problem first.

Any ideas?
Old November 22, 2008, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried putting in a different brand name of disk? or a non-burned cd like music, or a game?
Old November 22, 2008, 05:22 AM
MVP

I remember hearing this problem with the Pioneer DVR-212D not able to read CD properly. There should be a firmware update to fix this and you can download it from Firmware DOWNLOAD : PIONEER CORPORATION which list the official firmwares for the Pioneer drives.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
MVP
F@H

I haven't even tried a burned CD.
I'm trying to install either Kapersky or NOD32 both are CDs and non of my music CDs will work (store bought).

I don't know how you found that firmware. I searched Pioneer's site and goggle for them and only came up with older stuff. alas after flashing to the newest I still have the same problem. Time for a new drive I think.

Thanks for trying though.