Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Trying to install XP home 32bit (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/11675-trying-install-xp-home-32bit.html)

FreqE1 November 10, 2008 10:11 AM

Trying to install XP home 32bit

Due to prices going up, my living expenses almost doubling, and a few other unexpected expences I've decided to sell my DDR3 rig to fund a new monitor and a 2nd 4850 for my DDR2 rig.

My problem is the buyer wants XP and not Vista64 that was on this rig. I have an unused XP lisence so that's no problem. Problem is it won't install!

I put the HD in my other rig and deleted the partition and popped it back in the DDR3 rig. I cleared CMOS, set correct voltages and timings and set it to boot from CD. I start it up and it gets to the Boot from CD/DVD : prompt and sits there. Eventually I get DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER (excuse the caps but that's how it's presented). I open and close the DVD drive and press enter and the same thing happens again.

I thought maybe it was having trouble reading the disc but it did the same with another XP disc I have on hand. Now if I put in either of my Vista64 discs it starts loading them no problem! Grrrr!

Do I need to format the HD with my other rig first? If so what format?

Any help would be appreciated. I have the video card and monitor loaded up in my cart at NCIX from last weeks sale and if I don't order by tomorrow I loose the sale prices:sad: .

cadaveca November 10, 2008 10:23 AM

PLease list full components...

FreqE1 November 10, 2008 10:27 AM

Gigabyte EP45T-DS3R, E8400, 4GB Corsair DHX 1333 DDR3, 8800 GTS 512, WD 320GD single platter, HX520W, Pioneer DVD

Ran great with Vista64. Switched all SATA cables for new ones and the SATA power cables are all fine.

cadaveca November 10, 2008 10:33 AM

ah, sata dvd drive? have an IDE one? Also, install with jsut 2GB, only Vista is affected performance-wise by the AMT of installed ram. Install vista with 2gb, and that's teh max most programs can use...4gb makes Vista behave different.

FreqE1 November 10, 2008 10:33 AM

No unfortunately

cadaveca November 10, 2008 10:35 AM

Well, that would be all I got..you don't even get to the blue screen where drivers are loaded so you can isntall OS?

FreqE1 November 10, 2008 10:37 AM

I'm trying to get XP on this machine not Vista. I'll try installing XP with just one stick in though.

FreqE1 November 10, 2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 110472)
Well, that would be all I got..you don't even get to the blue screen where drivers are loaded so you can isntall OS?

Nope, I get the Gigabyte splash screen then the Install from CD/DVD prompt and that's it. I hit enter and it tries to read for half a second several times the gives the Insert disc prompt again.

Thanks for trying though.

Zeroman_IR November 10, 2008 11:17 AM

What version of XP are you trying to install? XP didn't support installing to/from SATA drives until SP2 I think. That could be your problem. If that is the case, you can install the SATA drivers from a floppy (which you may not have) or slipstream them onto an XP install disc. Instructions for that are here.
Hope that helps.

FreqE1 November 10, 2008 11:37 AM

I've got XP Home with sevice pack 2. I do have a floppy but not installed (yet). Thanks for the link. I dug out a dead computer I have and it has an IDE drive so I'm going to try that now. If that does not work I'll try the slipstream method.