Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Win-TV-HVR-1600 not finding any channels

I installed this card quite a while ago and never really used or set it up until today.
I followed the instructions but I am not picking up any channels at all when scanning, I am not sure how to fix this.I have gone intio the channel manager and in the scan section I selected ( country) Canada (Broadcast / Cable) I have tried both cable and cable (HCR ( not sure what the difference is ) ) and (format) NTSC_M, I let it scan for channels but nothing shows up, Is there anyone that knows how to do this or that can point me in the right direction.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you have the cable hooked up and you have Shaw? Does the cable feed work in a regular TV?

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

I assume you have it plugged in to a cable that has something on the other end? Sorry I had to ask. Which program are you using to search for channels? Windows Media Centre or the supplied Hauppage program. Are you trying to get digital cable or over the air? Some models of that card don't support QAM Support for WinTV-HVR-1600

Old November 5, 2008, 12:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
When I scan for channels, the scan ends very quickly and indicates 0 channels found for analog, and 0 services found for digital?

Be sure that you have installed the latest software available by following the procedure in the WinTV-HVR-1600 software updates section.
Be sure that the Hauppauge decoders are properly installed.
Be sure the audio card drivers are installed and funtioning.
To check for the decoder installation, look in the C:\Windows\System32\Hauppauge folder and there should be a folder name SMD07 in it. If htere is not, you will need to reinstall the decoders.
To reinstall the decoders, install the HCWSMD07.EXE from your WinTV CD ROM.
If you have Sigmatel audio hardware in your system, be sure to have the very latest available audio drivers installed for it, as this issue may also result due to older audio drivers. The latest Sigmatel audio drivers available for most Dell Dimension systems may be found here. To search the main Dell downloads page for drivers for your particular model, please look here.
From the FAQ: Support for WinTV-HVR-1600

edit: also, from the manual:

Quote:

Conflicts with Intervideo WinDVD

Sometimes we have found that a previously installed version of WinDVD will conflict with the WinTV-HVR-1600. Symptoms include: black screen but you can hear audio, failure to scan for channels, you can’t change MPEG formats without errors, bad audio/video sync, and others.

Uninstalling WinDVD will fix this problem. You uninstall WinDVD through the “Add/Remove Programs” in Control Panel. You will still be able to play DVD movies in MediaPlayer, since the WinTV-HVR installation provides a MediaPlayer compatible DVD player.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; November 5, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old November 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
MVP

If you must use a set-top box to watch channels, you cannot plug the cable directly. You need to plug the set-top output to the card input with S-Video or RCA or coaxial then have a IR blaster to change the channels.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 5, 2008, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You peeps replied pretty fast lol, I have checked all of the above
Quote:
Cptn Vortex you have the cable hooked up and you have Shaw? Does the cable feed work in a regular TV?
Yes I am with shaw and if I connect the cable to my TV it works.

Quote:
misterd I assume you have it plugged in to a cable that has something on the other end? Sorry I had to ask. Which program are you using to search for channels? Windows Media Centre or the supplied Hauppage program. Are you trying to get digital cable or over the air? Some models of that card don't support QAM Support for WinTV-HVR-1600
the cable is hooked up properly ( but I had to recheck to make sure) I am using the Hauppage program and I am just trying to get any cable, my card is supported for QAM.

Quote:
3.0charlie Quote:
When I scan for channels, the scan ends very quickly and indicates 0 channels found for analog, and 0 services found for digital?

Be sure that you have installed the latest software available by following the procedure in the WinTV-HVR-1600 software updates section.
Be sure that the Hauppauge decoders are properly installed.
Be sure the audio card drivers are installed and funtioning.
To check for the decoder installation, look in the C:\Windows\System32\Hauppauge folder and there should be a folder name SMD07 in it. If htere is not, you will need to reinstall the decoders.
To reinstall the decoders, install the HCWSMD07.EXE from your WinTV CD ROM.
If you have Sigmatel audio hardware in your system, be sure to have the very latest available audio drivers installed for it, as this issue may also result due to older audio drivers. The latest Sigmatel audio drivers available for most Dell Dimension systems may be found here. To search the main Dell downloads page for drivers for your particular model, please look here.

From the FAQ: Support for WinTV-HVR-1600

edit: also, from the manual:

Quote:

Conflicts with Intervideo WinDVD

Sometimes we have found that a previously installed version of WinDVD will conflict with the WinTV-HVR-1600. Symptoms include: black screen but you can hear audio, failure to scan for channels, you can’t change MPEG formats without errors, bad audio/video sync, and others.

Uninstalling WinDVD will fix this problem. You uninstall WinDVD through the “Add/Remove Programs” in Control Panel. You will still be able to play DVD movies in MediaPlayer, since the WinTV-HVR installation provides a MediaPlayer compatible DVD player.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Hauppauge\SoftMCE didn't have any folders just a few .dll files so I downloaded the new drivers and reinstalled the hcwSMD07.exe, I checked inside C:\WINDOWS\system32\Hauppauge\SoftMCE fore tha tfolder and it still wasn't there ( meamn while I was rescanning for channels and at the same time responding to my post here on the forums with my incredable typing speed that a snail could beat, I just rechecked the channel scanner and Yes it found 90 channels .

I am not sure what I would have done without your help , I search alll over google and couldn't really find anything.

Thanks all of you

Now I am off to figure out the rest of this
Old November 5, 2008, 04:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

My pleasure and good luck.
Old November 5, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok got it up and running ... well sort of I am wondering what causes this split screen thing, I have shut down unplugged my computer thinking that it was something do do with the image stuck in the memory but that didn't work

Last edited by Shadowmeph; October 22, 2011 at 09:51 AM.