Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default executables not executing...

Ok, i'm not sure how to even word this so i'll just go with the most stupidly obvious...

i click on an executable file, and it may or may not execute... its not that it sometimes will or sometimes wont, some will and some just wont. I cant see a rhyme or reason to any of it.... sometimes re installing works, sometimes not, sometimes the reinstaller wont execute either...

sometimes the executable works, but doesnt show the window on screen, but the program IS working in the background. I know this becuase i have a weather engine for my flight sim that wont show up, but it does show its open in the task bar, just no window, and when i log into flight sim, it takes over the weather generation just like its supposed to and otherwise works fine... as long as i want hong kong weather anywhere i fly in the world, cause the window doesnt open where i can change locations :P

I'm trying to fire up IL2, but it shows its thinking for about 1 second then nothing... uninstalled it, went to reinstall and it does the same with the installer... i noticed it did this a while back with a little utility i have for my matrox, but thought it was just a buggy pos, guess its something a little more though becuase now its happening more and more...

anyone came across something like this in their travels? i tried googling and have come up short.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old November 3, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah, no replies... thats about what i came up with on my own too...

Welp, theres only one way to solve stupid software problems!!!!

REFORMAT!!

vista 64 on these rigs
Old November 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Before I replaced my intel hardware with AMD stuff the only issue similar to yours that I was having was with GTAIII. I never found out what was wrong and re-installs of it did not rectify the issue. As far as I can tell it was only with GTAIII and nothing turned up on virus/malware/etc scanning programs so I do not know what happened.
Old November 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yeah, only thing i can think of is that i updated vista to sp1, but it ran fine for a week or so, but seemed that this started happening over time, wich is weird. First thing i thought was virus/malware, but a good couple scans pulled up nothing, coupled with my own certainty that i'd done nothing recently that would get me a virus i came up short for an answer.

Either way, i'm always ready for a reformat at a drop of a hat so its not a big deal to do it. Biggest pain in the butt will be reinstalling all my flight sim add ons... thats always good for a couple hours.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old November 3, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It isn't re-installing the game or software thats a pain in the arse its patching everything that takes the time and getting everything re-configured to your liking. I feel your pain tzetsin sorry I didn't get to the post sooner I would of tried to offer some assistance. It would also be very helpful if you include the operating system you are using, I apologize not all of us can see it in your sig right away.

If you are using vista please check here it might assist you with your problem:

I can not run any .exe files - Vista Forums

There's also the option of trying another launcher program to see if that might provide a temporary solution.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 3, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old November 3, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
It would also be very helpful if you include the operating system you are using, I apologize not all of us can see it in your sig right away.
yeeeeeess, hehe, thats why we all put our rigs in our sig's right? to help with trouble shooting right right? Its certaintly not cause we all like to show off...

For flight sim, its the add on installs that really take the time... when my flight sim is all set up right its weeeeell over 50 gigs plus plus plus... dozens of planes n helicopters, weather generator, higher resolution clouds, photo scenery, higher res terrain for the whole damn world..... lol soooo many things. takes forever.

I checked out your link, its not quite what was happening to me, but thank you for it anyway, its all better now, but its good to find out what the problem was so that at least if it happens again its simpler to fix or if it happens to someone else... you get my meaning.

vista 64 on these rigs