Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2008, 10:37 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default Help - Vista 64 on RAID 10 wont install

Well I have been trying for hours now trying to get Vista Ultimate 64 to install on Asus P5Q Pro with RAID 10 setup (4x500 gb drives).

First it took me a while to figure out the bios settings to change and disable marvel boot to even get the intel Raid manager to show up.

Then no matter what the configuration or versions of drivers from asus I use on the windows install it always says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old November 2, 2008, 02:22 AM
Allstar

hmm, if you are doing a floppy install of the raid drivers, and they arent being recognized, I would say its the driver.
Old November 2, 2008, 06:50 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've had some problems in the past when installing Vista 64 when the destination hard drives (raid) could not be used for the install because it (the raid) was not the primary boot device. Try changing your boot order to put the raid first, the your dvd-rom second. When no OS is detected on your Raid then it should jump to the Vista install dvd. Give it a try and let us know!
Old November 2, 2008, 12:32 PM
Rookie
F@H

Red face

Thanks for the responses.

I got it working, although not exactly as I was hoping.

I did the following and I am not sure if one thing or many contributed to a successful install:
  • In Vista Install, shift F10 to get to command prompt. then I ran diskpart and cleaned the the RAID mount. It took most of the night. all 4 hardrives were previously used and desipte deleting all the partitions on them, I thought there may be some linguring boot records.
  • I also connected an old 200gb Sata as I had almost given up on vista on RAID.
  • Then the install took, but it did put the boot recods on the 200gb drive.
I am not sure but I hope I can move those boot records at a later date as I really don't want to be using that 200gb drive in this system.

Again thanks for your help.