Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Booting problems on a 5 months old computer

Hi,

I started having troubles with my computer recently (few days ago), and it's getting more serious right now. The problem is that when I start/restart my computer, it sometimes will stay on only a few seconds (from 1 to maybe 8 seconds), won't POST (no beep nor error message displayed on the screen) and will restart and do the same thing X numbers of times and then, for no apparent reason, it will POST just fine. After the POST, it's always running strong. X is a variable number of times; sometimes it takes only 3-4 times, sometimes I just turn it off completly before it's able to start correctly. The first time it did this to me (not starting correctly), turning off the power from the back switch of the PSU was a way to set it back, but it doesn't work anymore (-- maybe it was only luck).

I built the comp 5 months ago. E8400 on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R rev 2.1 in a Antec Sonata III (comes with an Antec Earthwatts-500 PSU). Never had problems with it until recently (and this really sucks). We did have some electrical instability recently and I wonder if it might be related (I have no UPS but only a standard surge protector).

On the things I have done, I reseted the BIOS to the optimized default, tried starting with only one stick of memory & the graphic card & the CPU/cpu cooler but the situation is still the same. I don't have another PSU (well I have one but it's old and doesn't have a 4-pin connector so I can't use it) nor another motherboard to do more advanced tests.

So, what do you guys think it could be ?

Thank you for your help. Note that I accept reply in french ! Sorry for the not so good english, I definitely have to work on it.
Old October 28, 2008, 07:12 PM
Rookie
F@H

Could be a bad PSU. If you have lots of drives, try unplugging the power to all but your boot drive.

I had something similar a couple years ago and it was borderline underpowered system/bad PSU.

to see if you are under powerred, here is a link to a good calculator: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
Old October 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
Rookie
F@H

This could be of some help..
Old October 28, 2008, 07:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

As specified follow Mr. Wilson's guide. But since the rig does sometimes boot, this guide may not find the problem. I suspect a dying PSU, and suggest you find one to test very fast, before it dies and brings with it some more parts.

Using a powerbar is not really efficient against power surges, especially if the power bar does not have a breaker.

Ton anglais est acceptable - ne t'en fait pas.

And Welcome to the Forums.

John
Old October 28, 2008, 09:35 PM
Allstar

I agree with what the others are saying, definitely check that out. Also try a new surge protector, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen one cause a problem when there is electrical issues.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 29, 2008, 04:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

As for my system, I know it's not underpowered (the power supply calculator actually recommended me a 204 watts PSU ). This is a basic system I use everyday. This was the first computer I built; it was great fun to pick the pieces, but I discovered I wasn't much into overclocking. Anyway.

I re-did some tests today, and it was starting correctly almost every time. This is a bit pissing me off, since I did nothing since yesterday except leaving it disconnected from an electrical source. I don't have a PSU to borrow, so I can't test it out on my own, but I had some plans on building a new computer (low-power server) so I might consider buying one. Since it would be for a low power system, I had an eye on the Antec EA-380 since it's quite cheap and suposed to be good. Or maybe a VX450. I'll check it out. For now, guess I'll just pop an old hard drive in my current system so if something goes wrong, at least I'll still have my (precious) data.

Still, I'm a bit confused. Could it be something else than the PSU, like the MB or something else (short circuits?) ? Is there others signs of a dying PSU, because mine is doing no weird noise nor smelling anything ? And all the parts are only 5 months old.

Thanks

Old October 29, 2008, 04:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You could always remove the hardware from your case and re-assemble it on an cardboard - then test it from there for a few days. That will take the short out of the equation.
Old November 17, 2008, 05:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'm resurrecting my thread.

After testing my original system out of my case with the same result, I decided to buy a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L). No luck, I had similar problem (sometimes POSTing, sometimes not), but with the new motherboard I was sometimes getting POST beep code, something I thought was "power error" (but in fact it might have been BIOS ROM error).

So, I buyed a new PSU (Corsair VX450). Again, no luck. Actually, I had been able to run memtest and was getting a LOTS of errors. The system usually starts fine the first few times when it's cold, and then it start not POSTing and rebooting.

This is a bit pissing me off since when the problems started happening a few weeks ago, the computer was running perfectly fine when it was able to boot.

So, I'll buy a new CPU (E5200 or E7X00), RAM (2x2GB Kingston value ram) and graphic card (ATi 4350 based) (I'll build a home server with those parts). I'm a bit tired of losing my time with this rig. And I hope it will work after this. T_T

Someone has.. any advices... or similar experiences ? Suggestions ?

Old November 17, 2008, 10:30 PM
Allstar

Ram. Look there first.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:56 AM
Top Prospect

gigabyte are known for their reboot in loop bug. i have one p35 ds3r and one p45 ds3r. the p35 ds3r is very solid now but sometimes it will do the same as you and reboot on a loop. in this case i have to power off my psu and then turn it back on. the p45 ds3r is worse. since i tried to update the bios (something happend during the process) it ALWAYS reboot on a loop. the bios rom is bricked because no matter what i cannot update the bios anymore and each times i click on restart in windows it will reboot on a loop. to remedy that i have to either shut down the pc instead of reboot or turn off the psu. sometimes it even reboot on its own during night (not very often tho). all components are stable i have tested them.

i think that gigabyte mobo's are a little sensitive