Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Backing up a system

Not really a troubleshoot per se but wasn't sure where else to put it.

I just got a WD 640gb Black Edition HDD and I want to copy my system over from my 320gb WD to this drive - what is the best way for me to do it?

I could reinstall everything which I may just do anyways but I was wondering if you guys could offer me some insight into a way to back up and move the data over as whole and if it'd be worth it from a performance standpoint or if I should just back up personal data and reinstall software etc?

All my games and bigger programs are on my WD 750gb Black Edition.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 28, 2008, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD Caviar Black

Unfortunately that's designed to move from one drive to another without taking into account the games you've already got on the WD drive. (It's going to wipe the new drive clean).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 28, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah so I'll basically have to go in and either reinstall my games so they show up in programs/registry etc on the new os drive; or just make shortcuts?

But that will copy all of my data off my current os drive and onto my new one?

Normally I'd just wipe everything but I don't have the time right now to physically do it; too much work going on atm!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can clone your drive if you're going from a smaller partition to a bigger one.

Use ultimate bood cd for windows, and drive image XML tool.

Link:
UBCD for Windows

I've done this a couple of times, going from a 120 to 250, and from a 250 to 500. Make a partition on the new drive 1st, then clone the drive. Replace old drive with new drive. Voila. Larger HDD without reinstalling windows and all your programs.
Old October 28, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You can clone your drive if you're going from a smaller partition to a bigger one.

Use ultimate bood cd for windows, and drive image XML tool.

Link:
UBCD for Windows

I've done this a couple of times, going from a 120 to 250, and from a 250 to 500. Make a partition on the new drive 1st, then clone the drive. Replace old drive with new drive. Voila. Larger HDD without reinstalling windows and all your programs.

So do I install my new drive and partition it then clone my OS drive?

How would I go about making sure the new drive is the C:/ drive?

Just set my new on up in an open SATA then use the tool to clone onto it and then shutdown and swap the new drive in for the old and reboot and voila?
Old October 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The WD software will do that as well. I thought you had information on it that you didn't want to lose... if the drive that has your game information on it is a third drive use the lifeguard program and it will clone for you as well as make the new drive "C".

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 28, 2008, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Just set my new on up in an open SATA then use the tool to clone onto it and then shutdown and swap the new drive in for the old and reboot and voila?
Exactly. But apparently that tool Steve linked does the same thing in one step.
Old October 28, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have two drives, 320gb C:\ and 750gb E:\ - Windows is on the C:\ with only video games on the E:\ Except all my windows folders (Music, Documents etc) are saved to the E:\ - However there IS info I do not want to lose on the C:\.

I would like to preserve all my file structure and icon locations/settings etc

Just clarifying, my first post wasn't the best! lol
Old October 28, 2008, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If your intention is to replace the 320 GB C: drive with the 640, clone it as stated above and then swap the 640 into your 1st SATA port. If you're trying to do something else, a further explanation of what you're trying to do may be required. My way, you will not lose any data, nor will anything need to be re-installed.
Old October 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If your intention is to replace the 320 GB C: drive with the 640, clone it as stated above and then swap the 640 into your 1st SATA port. If you're trying to do something else, a further explanation of what you're trying to do may be required. My way, you will not lose any data, nor will anything need to be re-installed.

You've answered my question! Thank you both of you!

Yes, my intention is to replace to 320 with the 640! haha How very simply you put it! LOL