Default Mysterious Freezing

Help

Specs:
E5200
Ati 4670
Mushkin 4GB
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
WD 320GB

My system keeps freezing mysteriously 5-15 minutes after it boots. I have no idea what's causing the issue.

Edit:
Alright I'm typing this on my other.

From what I can tell there is no overheating on any of the equipment. At first I thought the freezing occurred more during downloading or installing a program, but after a few more times I've learnt that the freezing happens quite randomly. What happens is that the screen will simply freeze on whatever it displays and stays there forever.

I tried narrowing it down:
The 4760: Because it's new I think that the catalyst 8.10 might be messing with it, if I can I'll install the install-disk driver.

The hard-drive/ram and sound card all seem fine and probably aren't the culprits.

The CPU seems to work well, but I have no idea if this is characteristic of a CPU fail or not. The motherboard might be the problem itself. No features, (ie. powersaving, etc...) have been activated on it.

I'll check to see if sound still plays after the screen freezes to narrow it down a bit more.

What is this freeze most characteristic of?

Last edited by Rooke; October 27, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old October 27, 2008, 05:50 PM
MVP

All at stock settings ? If you overclocked it, try to adjust the settings to increase voltage a bit or lower the speed some.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 27, 2008, 05:53 PM
Rookie

I've posted more information. The CPU is a completely new build and hasn't been overclocked.
Old October 27, 2008, 05:57 PM
MVP

Very often, freezing is a video card problem. If it were a cpu or memory problem, you would get a bsod instead.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 27, 2008, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Thanks Xilikon.

So I've tested with the sound drivers installed and when the freeze occurs all programs do cease functioning and all I get is high-pitched whine. The sound card comes from another case so I know it's functioning. Either the video card or motherboard you think? I'm not sure how I could determine that.

Is there any program or tool that I can use to determine what's failing on me?

-Rick

Edit: I think you're spot on about the video card. After I uninstalled the driver I ran the computer for a bit on the net and it never froze. I rolled back to an earlier 8.53 but it began to cause the problem again. I'll see if I can get some advice on the last stable driver for the 4670 or take it back to CanadaComputers to see if I can take it back.

Edit 2: I switched it out for a 4850, but the problem still persists! It must be the motherboard then.

Edit 3: The motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L was the issue. Went for an ASUS motherboard instead. Asus P5QL-E. Works fine now. Thanks for the help Xilikon.

Last edited by Rooke; October 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM.