Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Default New DVD drive problems

I've just built a new system. The DVD drive worked perfectly for the first day, installed Windows, all drivers etc. When booting Windows this morning, the drive made a funny beeping noise (it was the drive, not POST codes, this was JUST prior to the desktop appearing) and the system wouldn't boot into Windows until I removed the disc in it. Since then, it won't read any disc I put in it, the activity light flashes for a few seconds and then stops. I didn't install anything as yet that might interfere with it. and the MB BIOS is updated to latest version. The drive shows up as fine in Device Manager, tried removing there to force reinstall but Windows detected and reinstalled it on the next boot.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be? I suspect the drive has died on me but I'm open to suggestions.

System spec and installed software below:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550.
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with Antec Tricool 120mm fan.
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro.
Graphics: Xpertvision Radeon HD4870 1GB.
Sound: Creative Xtreme Music.
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator Twin2X PC2-8500.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB.
DVD Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q 22X SATA Lightscribe Dual layer DVD±RW Writer Black - OEM.
PSU: PCP&C Silencer Quad 750w.
Case: Antec 1200.

Software:
OpenOffice 3
ASUS Mobo Utilities
Avast Antivirus 4.8 Home
iTunes 8
VLC Player
Steam
Audiosurf
Crysis: Warhead
Old October 24, 2008, 12:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

It is possible that the drive electronics are ok and are seen by windows,
but the drive head/LED/Laser has burned out.
Since it’s a new build, there is something called infant mortality,
which means the likely hood of a failure is highest in the first week or so.
Old October 24, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try shutting off your PC for a few minutes - (not a reset) but shutting everything down, turn the PSU switch off. Switch back on - go to your BIOS and make that DVD drive BOOTABLE and put any bootable CD and bootable DVD to rule out any windows issues, try it with both CD and a DVD that can be booted from. If it does not work then you have a bad drive - the noise you are hearing is the drive going haywire trying to read the disc - probably a finished laser.

Get a better drive :)

Pioneer or LiteON

I've been using my trusty LITEON 20A1P and 20A1S since it first came out and it's used daily for work - and never let me down.
Old October 24, 2008, 02:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ya, that'd be a good test DarKStar. you'll know for sure then.
Old October 24, 2008, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks Darkstar, Ill try that when I get off night-duty tomorrow so. I take it that Samsung are not considered one of the better manufacturers?
Old October 24, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Let us know your findings....... and no, I would choose a Pioneer or Liteon over a Samsung DVD Writer anytime. Some people prefer the Pioneers, personally I never had any problems with LITEON - besides, I use mostly Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden discs, sothe LITEON LOVES those and handles them well - while the Pioneer might have better writing strats for different media, but I'd say LITEON has gone a long way with new firmwares and support in the modding community :)
Old October 25, 2008, 08:50 AM
Allstar

I foolishly bought a Samsung (lots of people recommend those as well as the Pioneer) in my last build and I regret it. It won't burn dual layer discs and I have a high failure rate. I've gone back to LG as they have never let me down.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 25, 2008, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Tried that this morning, it was definitely RIP. Went into town this evening and managed to get an LG drive (very few computing stores here and most of them closed for the Bank Holiday weekend). That's working perfectly so far. Thanks to everybody for your help.