Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Question Is "tearing" a result of a videocard or RAM problem?

I am having a problem with my games tearing. I was wondering if this was a RAM or videocard problem. my refresh rate and all that is in synk but it still happens ocsionaly but when i hit the windows key (to go to my desk top) then go back in the game the problem goes away. Is this because of my videocard or my Ram? (system specs see screen shot) I also have a 9800GXT+ and OCZ 1200mhz ram
Attached Images

Old October 18, 2008, 09:34 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Are you sure you have vsync enabled? Install fraps and see what your framerate is at when the tearing occurs.
Old October 19, 2008, 01:10 AM
Allstar

well, your running something pretty hoppped up there. Dont be surprised about the side effects rignt now. I think it has to vic card driver. Whathe the function of ram? and how does it effect video?
Old October 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
Allstar

It's usually a sign of video card clocked too high or getting too hot. If it's oc'd back off the oc and try, also if temps are high open side of case to see if that helps. If that doesn't work reinstall gpu driver. Just my 2 cents.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old October 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

Well it shouldent be hot, 38idle and 45 under load is not hot for an 9800GTX+ or atlest I dont think it is...conserding I sene them running at 45+ idle. It is not oc'd at all comes with the factory settings.
Old October 19, 2008, 09:50 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

install fraps. check your fps when it tears. use fraps to grab a few screenshots too.
Old October 19, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No it has nothing to do with RAM - if your RAM was faulty you would see a different effect (more like texture corruption, multi colored garbled blocks) or most of the time game crashing :D The tearing you refer to is the same effect of having VSYNC OFF, and the image refreshing too quickly and not in sync with the refresh rate - I think this is more of a driver issue - if you were to install a different or older driver and the same game, you migh tnotice no tearing - Are you using a BETA driver or official ? Try using an official one, and update to the latest one - set VSYNC to ON and if your game has a vsync option set it to on.
Old October 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
more like texture corruption, multi colored garbled blocks
umm I thought that is what tearing was....shows how much I know about graphics

So having multi colored "spots" and some weard textures ocuring is a ram problem?

If that is the case I wil have to increse my DRAM voltage
Old October 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameplaywarrior View Post
umm I thought that is what tearing was....shows how much I know about graphics
Well I've always considered "tearing" to being just that - a "tearing" effect - noticeable especially when panning and parts of the image not being aligned from top to bottom and "tearing" to the sides. white dots, lines, colored blocks, etc, is a whole different thing, that is texture corruption and artifacting you DON'T want to have that - if that is what you are refering to then the first thing you shuold do is check your clocks - as someone pointed out, overheating and too agressive overclocking can cause this - try setting your CPU, RAM and videocard at STOCK speeds just to troubleshoot - if the problem is still there then we are looking at possibly RAM problems in which case you'll have to run memtest86 and test your RAM!

I've had this problem occur back then on an older videocard and it turned out to being a defective RAM module !

Try running all at stock and post your results...not just your videocard but RAM, CPU, everything.

Quote:
So having multi colored "spots" and some weard textures ocuring is a ram problem?

If that is the case I wil have to increse my DRAM voltage
Before saying it's a RAM problem look at your clocks if they are OCed too high, lower them, or best yet run them stock to rule that out.
Old October 19, 2008, 12:52 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

That's not tearing, those are 'artifacts' bad memory on the card is the most common cause.