Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question Need Bios chip help in Toronto

Hello all,

I thought I would post here asking for help, before going off to Ebay, to order something from in the states with silly shipping charges and waiting a week or two for shipment.

I had a bad bios flash on my Asus P5Q-Pro, rev 1.03G, (was using Ket's modded bios from Xtremesystems and tried to go back to an earlier bios) and after rebooting, got no POST. I tried all the clear CMOS stuff with no luck.

I was hoping someone here may be local and be able to program it for me, or have the same model P5Q-Pro board and be willing to do a hot swap flash for me. I'd be willing to come to you anywhere in Toronto, as long as it's transit reachable.

Thanks,
Daygard
Old October 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
Allstar

hmm, i think you are saying you would like the bios chip yeanked from the mobo? Casue, if you make a logical flowchart, you cant get anywhere with out a post or a bad bios that starts up first.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:46 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

No, it's a socketed 8 pin DIP chip, it's next to the ASUS, above & at the end of the 2nd PCI-E slot in this picture. It can be easily removed.

And yes, a hot swap flash, means that another comp using the same board/bios would boot up, switch the chip out, and then run a flash utility, to load a working bios onto the bad chip.
Old October 14, 2008, 08:49 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Someone try it!
Old October 14, 2008, 10:48 PM
Allstar

oooh hot flash, ive heard of it, ive just never messed up me boards before. Its neat that someone would do it. I was always jsut scared of the 'hot flashes'. Heard to much bout them and women growin up:P
Old October 15, 2008, 06:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Problem fixed, found a guy in Toronto, Gerald at Biosxp.net - Soldered BIOS chip repair.

Was able to see him tonight, and he reprogrammed my chip with the latest bios, and I'm back up and running.

Recommend him to anyone if they have bad bios flash problems.
Old October 15, 2008, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, that's reasonable. $15 to reprogram your chip? Cheap....
Old October 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Heard to much bout them and women growin up:P

Actually I can say I tried to do a hot flash years back, I messed up the bios on my Asus TXP4 and a good friend of mine had the same board. We booted his PC pulled his chip and put mine in but it gave a bios hook not found error when we tried to flash it. Tried a couple more times with same result until one of the legs on his chip started to break off at which point we stopped. Just ended up getting the same board again.
Old October 15, 2008, 08:00 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks for the link, I just killed my P35-DS4 with a bad BIOS flash and live in Ontario too. Hope he can help me.
Old October 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
Rookie

blargh

Last edited by malmal; December 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM.