Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2008, 03:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default Weird crashes when watching streaming video...

Well, I've got a bit of a problem, and I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. The rig is:

E8400
EVGA 780i
4gb Corsair Dominator 1066
ASUS 9800GX2
Vista 64

The CPU is under water, as well as the NB, and the mofsets. I'm pretty sure that's everything you need to know, but if there's more, I can give more info.

At any rate, I've been running for a couple of months overclocked at ~4.2Ghz with absolutely no problems. Games, video, everything ran perfectly. Lately, I've been having problems when watching streaming video online, specifically Yahtzee's stuff at the Escapist, but more recently, with more streaming video. It will play fine, but at random intervals, lines will form on the screen (almost as if something had scratched thin lines across it), the cursor will go wonky, the video playback will stop but sound will continue for a bit, and then the PC will crash.

Now it seems to only happen while watching fullscreen, and it doesn't happen all the time. Temps are all well within normal ranges, including the 9800GX2, which is only under the stock cooling. I've backed off the CPU timing to 3.6Ghz, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Help...:help:
Old October 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Didn't read the whole post. Try diffrent/newer/older graphics driver, and cleap up your PC (defrag and the like). Frankly, and I know its a drastic measure, but re formating/reinstalling the OS should work too. That being said if the problem persits AFTER a format and reinstall its hardware related.

Just basic trouble shooting steps is as far as I can offer without more specific info on what you've tried already (other than the downed OC).
Old October 9, 2008, 04:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Didn't read the whole post. Try diffrent/newer/older graphics driver, and cleap up your PC (defrag and the like). Frankly, and I know its a drastic measure, but re formating/reinstalling the OS should work too. That being said if the problem persits AFTER a format and reinstall its hardware related.

Just basic trouble shooting steps is as far as I can offer without more specific info on what you've tried already (other than the downed OC).
Ah...drivers. I might try this. I haven't updated in awhile, so maybe that's it.

Thanks