Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 04:09 PM
Rookie

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"> Are all these partitions on your 500GB HDD or do you have other HDDs?

CPU: Q6600 - 3.6GHz 8x450 - 24/7 Stable
VCore: 1.45v - BIOS Setting
HSF: Ultra 120 with NF-P12 Fan x 2
Temp: TCase 41c Hotest Tj 62c

GPU: HIS IceQ3 Turbo HD3870
Temp: Celcius 29-36 Degrees - Idle
Disp: Dual 19" Standard 1280x1024

Old October 8, 2008, 04:18 PM
Rookie

all on the one 500 Gb HDD

Last edited by sirhc; October 8, 2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old October 8, 2008, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
So far I made the 20G partition Installed xp sp 2 on it, installed all drivers from cd that came with MoBo, installed video card driver, Made 10 gb partition for xpress recovery2 and backed up on it, And finally right now I am formatting a 250GB partition that i plan on using for my media. Than I want to change the c partition from 20 Gb to the rest which is around 180 Gb but im not sure how to do that either

OK, so clearly once youíre in Windows your good to go & have a fair idea what youíre doing. You have to some extent probably satisfied yourself that your HDD is OK, so letís move on.

There are two ways to go here:

Option 1. Re-insert your Windows CD & start again, except this time create a 180GB partition to begin with. (Make sure that your optical Drive is the first item in your BIOS Boot list & change nothing else).

Option 2. Use a tool such as Partition Magic to change your OS partition size.

If you have Partition Magic then go for Option 2, but it might just be easier to start again. Personally I recommend you go with Option 1. Chin up your almost there!

Regards, Dizz

Old October 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie

what about gparted live cd? I searched google on how to add more space and alot of people sudgest it, should I try that? Im not sure about re- installing windows because the format failed the first time:s and i havnt changed anything that i now of that will make it work this time unless just using 180 instead of 500? but Iv already installed alot and i had trouble with my license key for windows and dont want to go through it again, so i think i might try partition magic or gparted.. Is partition magic free? have you heard of anything about gparted?
Old October 8, 2008, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
what about gparted live cd?

Yes any Dos/PC-Dos Level partition tool will do.

Quote:
Iv already installed alot and i had trouble with my license key for windows and dont want to go through it again
In future donít validate/register Windows until everything else is sorted.

Quote:
Is partition magic free?

No

Old October 8, 2008, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Ok, Thanks!

il try gparted
Old October 8, 2008, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
in the bios it says "sata ahci" => should this be enabled or disabled when plan is to use XP?

also "sata port 0-3 native mode" => should this B enabled or disabled?
Originally I had these set to disabled because I read somewhere that XP has a problem with sata drives and the bios detected both my DVD rom and HD, I tried switching to AHCI and enabled and my bios did not find my harddrive and DVD rom?

The problem was that XP could not format my 500 GB HD ... I was only using a single partition "C" I am guessing it is a bad hard drive .... how can I be sure?
Actually there is no problem with AHCI and Window XP - however, you will need to install the respective drivers to use this mode - during install, and have a floppy handy. In IDE mode, yoru SATA runs in IDE emulation mode, and so the drive is native to the OS, and requires no drivers, it is recognized as a normal IDE drive. I leave my SATA drives in IDE mode at all times - I don't use AHCI - if you don't require the use of hot swapping and NCQ, I'd leave it to IDE. Some chipsets like the nForce 570SLI I use, supports NCQ even in IDE mode.
Old October 9, 2008, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Actually there is no problem with AHCI and Window XP - however, you will need to install the respective drivers to use this mode - during install, and have a floppy handy. In IDE mode, yoru SATA runs in IDE emulation mode, and so the drive is native to the OS, and requires no drivers, it is recognized as a normal IDE drive. I leave my SATA drives in IDE mode at all times - I don't use AHCI - if you don't require the use of hot swapping and NCQ, I'd leave it to IDE. Some chipsets like the nForce 570SLI I use, supports NCQ even in IDE mode.
You can also integrate the AHCI drivers and the Service Packs onto the XP install disk with programs like nlite if you don't have a floppy drive.

Paphman910
Old October 9, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paphman910 View Post
You can also integrate the AHCI drivers and the Service Packs onto the XP install disk with programs like nlite if you don't have a floppy drive.

Paphman910
I have never tried integrating drivers with nlite, other than use it to integrate service packs and windows updates - However, someone I know has tried to integrate their AHCI drivers and it didn't work - something about the fact those have to be loaded during the install process - so I would advise to have a floppy aside just in case :)