Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 07:00 AM
Top Prospect

Default memtest fail for two sticks, not one?

I started getting BSOD's recently on a build that has been running fine since the spring. I had a 8800GTS 640mb that was in when the BSOD's started happening, I recently grabbed a 4870 and still have the BSOD's so I don't think it is a driver or GPU issue? (did the driver cleaner etc. route when switching).

Now I have run memtest86 and MS's memtester and both kicked back errors after a few hours when running both sticks in the system. On there own though I have yet to get an error from either stick I am going to try some longer term memtesting on each stick and hope that one fails (that would be an easier fix)

So any ideas if it isn't the ram? Do I need to look into RMA'ing the mobo as I can't really think of what would cause this? I believe that my chipset driver is up to date (checked the dates and it seems to be good). I haven't updated the BIOS in a while but seeing as nothing changed on the board I'm hesitant to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old October 6, 2008, 07:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If neither one of the sticks fails when run on their own, and you've tested in both of the slots you're using for dual channel, my first guess would be a slight bump to northbridge volts.

Are you also sure that your memory voltage is set properly for the memory? If it's designed to run at 1.9 and you're only giving it 1.8 you might see similar issues.

Finally.... probably best if you give us some hardware info in case somebody can see anything about your config that jumps out.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 6, 2008, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the suggestion. I added my system specs to my sig, hopefully it shows up?

Q6600 @2.7
2x2GB Crucial Ballistix (never a problem with them since I bought them new in the spring, running auto settings for timing and volts are not at 100% rated, but like I said no issue until now, will try uping to proper volts)
DFI LanParty DK X38
2 Optical drives

I am going to try playing around with the memory slots as well to see whats up, see if I can get them to run in the second channel? I will also bump the NB a bit so see if it changes anything?
Old October 7, 2008, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

I switched both sticks to the second memory channel and bumped the voltages up to the stated spec of 2.2v.

I managed to pass 10+ hours of Memtest without any errors

I will run a few more tests to see if I got lucky but when the sticks faile last time there was a huge amount of errors over the same period of time.