Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2008, 05:33 AM
Allstar

Default Installed 4870X2 & lost my sound.

I'm using XP pro, installed card, used modular plug from a diff setup but didn't work so used the Molex to 8pin & it worked, plugged the HD audio into my sound card & fired up system. No sound, Sound cards don't even show up as a device or anything! Tried diff PCI slot even tried diff sound card same thing. Anyone know how to rectify this?
Old October 1, 2008, 05:40 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Funny who you run into on other forums. Hopefully I've posted the solution to your issue at MB.
Old October 1, 2008, 05:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Go into the Sound Options and deselect the HD 4870 X2 or what should be called "high definition audio device" or something along those lines.
Old October 1, 2008, 06:03 AM
Allstar

The only thing I could find was an ATI function driver for high definition audio AA01 in the devise manager.

Oh & hey Dr lol. I thought I'd get more people viewing here than our sight. Gotta go to the gurus once in awhile what? lol
Old October 1, 2008, 06:05 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Go into the Sound Options and deselect the HD 4870 X2 or what should be called "high definition audio device" or something along those lines.
Would uninstalling work? It doesn't allow me to deselect it right.
Old October 1, 2008, 06:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You haven't mentioned if you installed using the driver disk of your vid card. My experience with a couple of different ATI cards is that the HD driver won't install from the catalyst drivers... you have to either use the vid card's driver disk to get it installed initially and then you can install new drivers, or do some googling to track down the ati HD audio driver as a stand alone.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 1, 2008, 06:48 AM
Allstar

I didn't intentionally install any sound device from ATI.

I disabled it & sound now works mint through my X-Fi sweet Thx again Dr! Much appreciated!
Old October 1, 2008, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

I had some strange and similar sound issues with my new 4870. I installed the latest 8.9 catalyst and not the CD driver. I have a sound card (old one but its work fine for years).

I would get weird static and poor sound quality and also I kept getting a "Windows has found a new device, install driver" blah blah.

I couldn't figure it out. I found in system>hardware manager a High def. audio item that had a yellow question mark.

Finally I just let Windows search for a driver for it (scary, I know.) and it found the ATi hi def driver, problem solved.
Old October 1, 2008, 12:27 PM
Allstar

Yeah I just disabled that same thing & it worked. lol
Old October 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
Banned
F@H

Any ATI card that has HDMI has an audio device so as to be able to pass through audio on HDMI. If you plan on using HDMI to conenct to a HDTV or something, don't forget what happened!