Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2008, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Some strange BSODs

I'm getting some strange behaviour out of my rig lately.

I've just upgraded to the Rampage Extreme with OCZ Gold Edition DDR3-1600 (2x2GB)

I'm still on stock cooling for a while, so no overclocking the CPU, but I've bumped the FSB to 400 and set the CPU at 3.2GHz (E8600).

It passes 5 runs of IntelBurnTest, but sometimes while gaming or even just sitting there, the system locks up and I get horrible ticking and squealing out of my speakers (5.1 Headphones).

You can see the rest of my specs in my sig. I'm wondering if this is a software or hardware problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old September 24, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm confused, you have or havn't overclocked? By the looks of it you have; it could be anything. Double check all your voltages even if you havn't oc'd very much. Check your stock settings for your memory etc and make sure in your bios everything is set to stock (NOT "Auto" that won't always be right, actually manually set everything to what is listed on your memory package etc)

Also make sure that your PCIE frequency hasn't moved. A lot of motherboards have it set to Auto and it'll slowly creep up if you adjust the FSB etc; make sure you set it to (I think 100, you'd have to double check online as I forget atm).

You could try going completely stock settings on everything, if you still get it I'm willing to bed it's a video card problem so start cleaning out and resintalling your drivers.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry.

Have NOT overclocked.

The CPU is stock at 3.3GHz. I've overclocked the FSB to 400, but lowered the multi to 8 (stock is 10x333).

The RAM is 1600 stock. I've set most of the voltages to their stock settings in the bios (I don't like to leave things on auto). PCIE freq is set at 100.

I'll have to set everything stock and play some AOC tonight (since that was bringing it on most of all)

I might re-install Windows as some weird things happened during the install process (including activation, then loss of activation, then re-activation)
Old September 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Sorry.

Have NOT overclocked.

The CPU is stock at 3.3GHz. I've overclocked the FSB to 400, but lowered the multi to 8 (stock is 10x333).

The RAM is 1600 stock. I've set most of the voltages to their stock settings in the bios (I don't like to leave things on auto). PCIE freq is set at 100.

I'll have to set everything stock and play some AOC tonight (since that was bringing it on most of all)

I might re-install Windows as some weird things happened during the install process (including activation, then loss of activation, then re-activation)

Reinstall Windows for sure. Also with AOC, drop yourself to shader 2.x, well anything but 3.0. Their shader is STILL screwed to all hell and dosn't work right. I know it looks like crap but I even played on it after hating the BSOD's I got. But I'd do the windows install first.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 24, 2008, 08:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

whats your RAM voltage? ddr3-1600 usually requires 1.9Volts.
Old September 24, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Reinstall Windows for sure. Also with AOC, drop yourself to shader 2.x, well anything but 3.0. Their shader is STILL screwed to all hell and dosn't work right. I know it looks like crap but I even played on it after hating the BSOD's I got. But I'd do the windows install first.
I ram Memtest86+ today and it ran with no errors, though it ended up freezing

Had to reset the machine. Since that's not even a Windows program, I'm not sure what it is.

At these same settings it passed IntelBurnTest.

I guess I'll try to reinstall Windows tonight and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
whats your RAM voltage? ddr3-1600 usually requires 1.9Volts.
Yep 1.9v
Old September 24, 2008, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I'm getting some strange behaviour out of my rig lately.

I've just upgraded to the Rampage Extreme with OCZ Gold Edition DDR3-1600 (2x2GB)

I'm still on stock cooling for a while, so no overclocking the CPU, but I've bumped the FSB to 400 and set the CPU at 3.2GHz (E8600).

It passes 5 runs of IntelBurnTest, but sometimes while gaming or even just sitting there, the system locks up and I get horrible ticking and squealing out of my speakers (5.1 Headphones).

You can see the rest of my specs in my sig. I'm wondering if this is a software or hardware problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Quit using that test.

Run p95 or Orthos and do a Blend Test

You probably don't have enough voltage running through your memory.
Old September 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Quit using that test.

Run p95 or Orthos and do a Blend Test

You probably don't have enough voltage running through your memory.
Why would I quit using that test? It's always worked well for me as a quick method to test. Then I test with something more long term like Orthos or P95

The RAM is rated at 1.9v, which is what it's set to. The reading on Everest says 1.9v

I'll let it run Orthos Blend for a while and see what happens.
Old September 24, 2008, 11:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the same kind of issues I had a while ago when I setup my M2N-e with some ram that required 2.2v but the M2N-e can only do 1.9 or something stupid like that. It ould run fine then without any warning, BSOD or just lock up.
Old September 24, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This RAM requires 1.9v according to the sticker on the side.

I'll try bumping it up a bit, but 1.95v is the EVP limit.