Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Router problems

I seem to be having trouble with my router, but i don't know enough about networking (really don't know much at all) to fix it :P about once a month, sometimes 2, my router will stop working. my internet signal is fine, i can plug my pc directly into the modem without any problems. I have the wrt600n . I will see the icon in the lower right corner of my monitor start searching for a connection and then it gets limited or no connectivity. I get it to work again by putting the router's cd in, and installing it. However, i've never had this problem with a router before. infact i'ev never installed a router by cd before .. what settings do i have wrong? or is it something wrong with the 600n
Old September 21, 2008, 12:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not an expert, but my M$ router (yeah... lucky me to have owned the only piece of real hardware they every tried to market... :) ) used to "time-out" fairly regularily. The solution was to force a refresh by unplugging it for a minute or so and then plugging it back in.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 21, 2008, 12:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I seem to be having trouble with my router, but i don't know enough about networking (really don't know much at all) to fix it :P about once a month, sometimes 2, my router will stop working. my internet signal is fine, i can plug my pc directly into the modem without any problems. I have the wrt600n . I will see the icon in the lower right corner of my monitor start searching for a connection and then it gets limited or no connectivity. I get it to work again by putting the router's cd in, and installing it. However, i've never had this problem with a router before. infact i'ev never installed a router by cd before .. what settings do i have wrong? or is it something wrong with the 600n
By chance do you have several apps running that access the net?. I have the 310n, and when I'm running say F@H, Boinc and a [legal] filesharing application that needs a constant connection, my router quits when Boinc or F@H tries to phone home...

edit; must be conflict somewhere, as sswilson said, just unplug it for a bit...

Old September 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
Its a linksys router they are notorius for dropping signal and needing a reboot :(
Old September 21, 2008, 11:26 PM
Top Prospect

I agree....we're Linksys at work, and It's not unusual to have to go down the hall and cycle the damned thing.
I've seen line issues cause the same sort of problems though with my last router (DI624 g). Couldn't figure it out. After weeks of goofing around, I finally
went out and bought a 625 n and still had the problem!! Anyhow, Shaw discovered I had an problem with one of the outside lines or connections.
Old September 22, 2008, 12:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

I have the exact same problem and it just gets me really . I have a fairly good Belkin Router, I don't understand why I have to unplug it and reconnect it when this issue occurs. If it drops the internet signal, it should just reconnect? But no it doesn't... so if it is supposed to be doing something while I am not at home, it stops doing it until I get home and can turn it off and on (example BOINCing). It's stupid, but I've tried many things... I do find that the fewer applications using the internet, the less of a chance you have of it dropping the connection. Usually if you have a peer to peer file sharing going it has a larger chance (I assume because of all the connections that it makes). Also if you only have one computer running while your not at home and unable to reset the router, then just leave your computer directly plugged into the modem and there wont be a problem.
Old September 22, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I have unplugged it before, and reset it too. It didn't work, i have to install the router's software for some reason.
Old September 22, 2008, 07:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Have you flashed to the latest version of the firmware?

You might want to consider installing DD WRT on it. The homebrew firmwares are often more stable than the official release from Linksys.
Old September 22, 2008, 08:30 AM
MVP

I have 2 Linksys WRT54GL routers (setup for WDS) & don't seem to have these issues mentioned here. Must be due to my running the Tomato firmware on both. :-)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old September 22, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

hmmm....

While it certainly possible that the router is just being a pain , I'd ask you if you use the wireless and if so , what security are you using (Mac filter?/wep?/WPA?)....

It's possible , depending on security , to 'hack' into wireless , and mess with router stuff....like forcing resets....

You do of course have the router interface properly passworded right ?