Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default ahhhh bad evening

Hi all,

long post coming

The Evening started really good. I got my hands on a QX9650 to try what I could do with it. I tought, wow this is going to be a fun O/C evening... WRONG

First, friends came home and wanted me to get their wedding camcorder movies to a DVD. Its an older SONY camera wich use those little tapes. To make things worst, they lost the sony DVDmaker disk and the firewire cable I need to do the transfer. When I try to ask question they just look at me with with blank stare and expect me to make things right. So, I go through my computer junk searching for a firewire cable and the wife takes this opportunity to tell everyone that if I took time to clean my mess I would have found it faster .

Finally find one. And download 3 or 4 DVDmaker on the web (Muuvee and some other) before realising I can just use windows DVD maker. For sure, while I slave on the computer the ''friends '' are drinking cofee with my wife and playing with my kid....

Finally, they go home the wife and son goes to sleep.

Time for some O/C action.....

I take out my Fuzion v-2 remove my nice little E8400 from the socket and drop the QX9650. Re-boot and first thing I see on my LCD post screen : it freeze on DRAM. I re-Boot again but same problem.

At this point, I decide to re-put my E8400 in there, just to see if something happened while I was changing the CPU or ''maybe'' it is something with the ram stick.

Now with the E8400 in, the post LCD says it stops at USB Term. So, just for the sake of it, I take out 2 of my 4 ram stick, the two that are in the secondary slots.

It POST. Hurray !?

NOT windows vista64 wont start. It hangs on the starting screen.

So I hard re-boot. And select SAFE MODE. But it hangs too. Nothing makes it.

So, I decide to clear the CMOS, and restart at stock. Obviously I forget to tell the BIOS I have a RAID0 for booting disk and cant boot. So, I re-boot again, and tell the BIOS it needs to expect RAID boot drive.

Manage to get at the SAFE mode window and decide to use the utility to redo my Registery boot like it was on the start of September, when I knew it worked nice.

IT BOOTS OK, Hurray !?

NO, I got no network. I then remember I had problem with my network early september, so I had re-intalled the drivers. Decide to use the registry later in September where I know everyhting worked with the network. NOW I CANT EVEN ENTER IN SAFE MODE'. OUCH

I try to use my Vista disk to ''repair'' the vista install and maybe get everything back. BUT NOOOO it hangs on the vista screen. I only can see my mouse, nothing else. I guess maybe I could have been more patient, cause at that point, it was close to midnight and the frustration was getting to me. So I closed everything and just went to bed.

If anyone go trough all that story, you are courageous. I wanted just to explain my night. I guess I had a need to ventilate.

At this point I am ready to destroy my Raid0 array and start from scratch. But I got things I'd like to keep on the array and I got lazy on backups...... I know, all of you will say, NEVER use RAID0 not worth it.

I guess you learn the hard way, but still, I got another hard drive, maybe I could boot from it or install window on it. Could I see my array ?

To make things worst, I am going away this week end at the in-law country house where they need me for some house chores... So no trouble-shooting my computer before late sunday... BAD NIGHT

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old September 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't sound like a fun night at all!!!

I keep threatening to set up a raid array, but then I come across stories like yours and the urge goes away.

Hope you get your system back up and running properly. Maybe a fresh look today will set things right.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 19, 2008, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes just backing away, regrouping, and getting a fresh start on a problem can help a lot. Good luck!

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 19, 2008, 08:06 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You didn't clear the CMOS after changing the CPU?
Old September 19, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Now that I think about it....

No wonder my computer was confused.... I could try that.

But still, now that I am back to my original cpu and CMOS cleared, I dont understand why windows dont want to boot.

Sold hardware again.....
Old September 19, 2008, 09:53 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Corrupted HDD from the CPU swap while oc'ed. Re-format is the only way out I believe.
Old September 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
MVP
F@H

Sometimes you need to ventilate, just don't "ventilate" the 'puter in any extreme way. Good luck.
Old September 19, 2008, 01:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Corrupted HDD from the CPU swap while oc'ed. Re-format is the only way out I believe.
He's not going to like hearing that...
Old September 19, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I gues I am doomed. Damn it, it was suppossed to be a fun ocing time.

I just ordered a 1000 go Harddrive for backup.... Anyone knows what I could use for automatic regular backup ?

Anyone want to buy a V-raptor ? lol no more Raid0 for me :)

Sold hardware again.....

Last edited by matsta31; September 19, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old September 19, 2008, 01:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

I love my Vraps! You better hang on to it for a bit. You’ll be back!